Garage door opener replacement

Old 10-05-09, 07:33 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener replacement

The chain popped off my garage door opener and I had a pro over to attempt to put it back on. After putting the chain back on he ran the motor and it popped off again. The motor is about 12 - 15 years old and it looks like I need a new one. the pro also said they diiscontinued making parts for this type of motor(its a stanley). I do mostly all home improvements myself but I know replacing a motor will be a pain in the ass. Even the good old home depot book says an experienced person would take 6 hours! It just seems that many things can go wrong. However hiring a pro is expensive.

The pro was telling me I may need to replace the springs(which were replaced about 6 years ago) if I get a new motor. He says I will need a 3/4 horsepower motor since I have an oversized wooden door at 360 lbs. He says if you get a half horse it will burn out the motor in 5 years although the motor I have is I believe a 1/3 and that lasted 12-15 years.

So my question is how many things could I screw up on if I attempt to install this? The balancing, electrical etc...Is this very difficult? Anything else I need to consider?

Appreciate the comments. Any pros out there want to comment?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Changing an opener, when you already have one there, will take more like 2-3 hrs, if that. The wiring is already there, so no big deal. You will probably have to run new wires for the safety sensors, but thats included in the kit.

If your door opens and closes smoothly w/o too much effort, then you don't need new springs. If its balanced correctly a 1/2 HP will be just fine. The springs remove the weight of the door..

He was right about no parts for Stanley openers...

Old 10-06-09, 08:32 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
opener

My question is what about a motor would make the chain junp off? Unless the bearings were worn badly and then it would sound like a freight train. I would suspect worn sprokets or alignment. But Im no pro.