1972 old plastic door removal - Help!

Old 10-22-09, 03:11 PM
Question 1972 old plastic door removal - Help!

I have a home that was built in 1972, and I am trying to remove the Acme brand plastic door knobs off the hallway and bathroom doors. The bathroom doors lock by pressing down and twisting. They have a small hole in the center of the knobs on the exterior of the knob. The hallway doors with no lock, do not have this hole. All doors do not have any nooks in the rose that I can pop off.

I tried taking the face plate off first, but they don't come off independently. They seem like they are attached to the latch assembly. I tried just popping off the rose/mounting plate, but since it's plastic it just breaks off.

I looked on the internet if I can find any resemblance to this old door knob and removal, but I'm coming up empty handed. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Could you post a picture or two on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post. That way we can see what you see. I am sure we can figure out a way for you to remove them with ease.

Old 10-23-09, 08:48 PM
Plastic Door Knob Photos

Thanks, Chandler. I hope there is an easy way to remove these door knobs! I took some photos and posted them on Photobucket. Here is the link:
Door knobs pictures by 3316Hobie - Photobucket

Thanks to those that may have suggestions!

Old 10-23-09, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Are you planing to reinstall the locks or just replace them?

Old 10-23-09, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the question, Ray. I'm going to paint the hollow core doors and replace the door knobs with new ones. If there is an easy procedure to remove the plastic knobs, that's what I'm looking for. I'd rather not saw them off if I can help it. Thanks!

Old 10-24-09, 02:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to have a home that had those types of door knobs [actually it had plastic, brass and chrome] I replaced them all but that was close to 30 yrs ago and I'm having trouble remembering how they were put together Have you tried twisting the base of the lockset?

The hole in the middle of the knob is to insert a 'tool' to unlock the door from the other side, no hole needed on a non locking [passage] door.

If you paint those doors, it would be best to first use a solvent based primer [sand first]. That will insure that the paint will adhere to the current finish. You can use any type of enamel over the primer.

Old 10-25-09, 10:25 PM
Thanks MarkSR. I laughed out loud when I read that you replaced your door knobs 30 yrs ago! We purchased this home for a pretty good deal a few years back, and I am now finally getting around to doing some upgrades.

I tried twisting the lock set, but no dice. I tried using a flat head to pull up the rose, but the plastic shattered to pieces. Not great with a toddler running around.

Hope someone is familiar with these ancient knobs. I'll keep searching for an answer. Thanks!

Old 10-26-09, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by 1972Home View Post
Thanks for the question, Ray. I'm going to paint the hollow core doors and replace the door knobs with new ones. If there is an easy procedure to remove the plastic knobs, that's what I'm looking for. I'd rather not saw them off if I can help it. Thanks!
Then I guess my suggestion of a Sawzall is a no go. Seriously though if you cut the knob off of one you may be able to get the rosette of and figure out how to remove the rest correctly.

Old 10-26-09, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that's what I was thinking - if you destroy one removing it, you should be able to figure out how they were installed.

Old 10-27-09, 11:19 PM
Will saw door

Thanks Mark and Ray. I've searched everywhere on the internet, and have not found an answer on this lovely, plastic door knob, so I will saw off! We'll see if I end up sawing them all off, or if I am able to dissect and see what the heck is going on inside.

I'll be taking the painting recommendation too!

Old 12-01-09, 03:31 PM
Plastic door knob update

I wanted to include an update, just in case there may be one other human being out there having trouble with these doorknobs from their doors.

I found that the front circular plate of the door knob can be popped off, and on one side awaits a screw that can be removed with a phillips screwdriver. It was really simple and easily removed once I figured that out. Thanks all for your help.

Old 12-01-09, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for the follow up. You can't be the only one with those knobs and now Googlers will have a place to go.