Help me identify this weatherstripping!

Old 10-26-09, 07:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help me identify this weatherstripping!

Hoping someone can help me here. I'm looking to replace some old weatherstripping on my front door, and noticed that at the bottom of the door jamb on the hinge side, the previous owner installed some white self-adhering pile stripping, about 1" wide (see the following image).

My questions are a)what is this product?, and b)where can I find it? The closest thing I was able to find at Home Depot was thin pile stripping for sliding doors.

Please help, and thanks!

Old 10-26-09, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Those pads come with every new door, and I don't believe you can buy them in stores. Your best bet will be to go to the millwork department at your local lumberyard and ask the manager if he has anything similar. Therma-tru and Mastercraft switched from that kind of corner weatherstrip pad to a different kind 5 or 10 yrs ago. I'm assuming most other brands have as well.

Instead of the pile weatherstrip pads that were common a few years back, you will more commonly see a wedge shaped foam (q-lon) weatherstrip with an adhesive backing. That would probably work just as good, if you could find that instead.

The wedge shaped foam weatherstrip is on page 11 of 12 in this catalog if you'd like to see what I was referring to.

The corner weatherstrip in your picture looks to be in good shape, so you could always glue it back on with some contact cement (follow the directions on the bottle). The contact cement is available in little tiny bottles (about $2) for small repairs like this. And you can put a couple staples in it for good measure.

Old 10-27-09, 04:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper. I'll look around for the foam pads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: