Extending door threshold & sill

Old 10-27-09, 06:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending door threshold & sill

Couldnt find anything that answered my question.

I'm replacing garage entry door w/ basic steel door. Will be adding 2" foam insulation to the garage wall pushing it's depth out. I can add the jamb extensions around the sides and header jamb, I've done it dozens of times for windows, but have no idea how to extend the threshold / sill. The door will be a prehung.

Old 10-27-09, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
If you haven't bought the door yet, buy one for a 2x6 wall. It will be 6 9/16" wide and will have the correct sill extension on it already.

If you already bought the door, you can add the extension onto the exterior side of the jamb, and you will need to get a sill extension kit... provided your door will accept them. Some of the cheaper prehungs won't have the groove in the front nose of the sill that accepts the extension.

The sill extension needs to clip onto the front of the door sill before the jamb extensions are added.

Old 10-28-09, 03:07 AM
K
Thank you XS.

I'll also need to extend the frame at least at the bottom where it meets up with the subfloor. On the sides and top I guess I can butt the rigid foam up against the jambs but the entryway is not level - I need the structural support for the extension on the bottom between the wood subfloor (inside) and the lower concrete steps (outside) so I really do need some sort of frame extension at the bottom.

I guess I can just rip some pieces and do more of what is already there. Any further ideas on that are welcome!

Old 11-02-09, 06:03 AM
K
Extending door threshold & sill Reply to Thread

Bought a 2x4 framed unit as there were no prehung 2x6 doors in stock nearby. Found a brickmold kit that included the sill-nose extension you noted. Slipped right in before instaling the unit, hammered a piece of 1x under the extended lip to make it secure. Still have to build the jamb extensions but since the whole unit is slightly turned in the RO I would have had to adjust the jambs anyway. Field built will be fine. The main thing is that the door swings freely and closes firmly... the rest is trim work. Thanks again, as always. First door install complete!

Old 11-02-09, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Sounds good, nice job! Be sure you have shims around the frame, especially at the deadbolt/latch area and behind the hinges, and remove 1 hinge screw from each jamb-side hinge and replace them with 2 1/2 or 3" screws that will go into the rough opening. This will help prevent the door from sagging in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: