Problem with new patio door install

Old 10-28-09, 02:39 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with new patio door install

This past weekend I purchased a new sliding patio door made by Pella. When I went to install the new door I realized that the frame thickness was approx. an inch & a half thinner than the old one. So either way I installed it I would have a gap on the inside or out. I ended up installing the door so it was flush with the siding on the outside, as I did not want to mess with the siding. So now on the inside the door is not flush with the drywall. If I put the molding on it will not be flush with the door. Does anyone know of a way that I can make this up, or should I move the door in & come up with a way to make up the gap on the outside? I bought this door at Lowe's & had to install it as I had already taken the old one out the day before, so returning it & waiting for a special order was not an option. Thanx for your help.

Old 10-28-09, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I doubt it makes much difference if you address this on the inside or outside. You need a jamb extension to bring it out level with the drywall. You might be able to buy something the right width but what I would do would be to rip some wood on the table saw to the right diemension. If it all paints, it doesn't need to be perfect because you can fill the gaps with caulking. If it stains, you'll need to be more precise.

Old 10-28-09, 07:17 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Many times when a new door or window is installed the thickness is different than the old one. Since you installed yours flush with the exterior you simply need to add trim to the interior side that will become flush with the sheetrock.

On a door that I installed recently, I choose to go flush with the interior then added a 1/4" X 1-1/8" trim and 1-1/8" of fill behind it to the exterior side so I could install the exterior 1X4 trim.

You need to do the same thing on the interior side. Measure from the door frame to the sheetrock see you much trim you need to add. You may find one exactly the size you need, or you may have to get something wider and rip it to fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: