Repair or replace large sidelight window?

Old 11-26-09, 09:12 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair or replace large sidelight window?

We have many windows in our house made from doors 3 ft. by 6-9 ft. in a colonial style (3 panes by five panes) from 1994. The outside is painted white and the inside has a pine stain. One of these windows has bad water damage. Some of the muntins are rotted and the lower rail is rotted and also the lower part of one of the stiles. These are typical large picture windows looking out over a deck. Any rain blowing into the window will allow water into the house. After locating some artisans (which was not easy) who can do the repair and refinishing the cost comes in at $1000. This is about 20 hours, travel, and material, and the refinishing. This is high, but an acceptable price to me; of course it is much more than the window is worth, but we are trying to match all the other windows we have. It would seem that if we could get a physical match to our window - definitely with matching muntins - then we could do it easier maybe saving some money. I do not even know if there are speciality places that do matching work like that. Should I just go ahead with the repair or are there even other options that I should consider?

Old 11-26-09, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
IMO, that is reasonable, especially if you want/need to keep the same look and don't want to replace it with something that doesn't match the rest exactly.

As a tip, you might want to do some preventative maintenance on all your windows, especially on the exterior side. Be sure the perimeter of the glass is glazed tight to the wood exterior so that no moisture can enter, sit, and rot the wood. A professional painter would do the best job of this, since most of them know how to caulk neatly and cleanly without making a complete and utter mess.

Most wood windows rot needlessly because no one thinks of checking the perimeter of the glass glazing on an annual basis. It's just common sense maintenance to do that every year during painting season, and can save a lot of headaches down the road.

Old 11-27-09, 04:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I consider myself a craftsman, and grossly underpaid for projects like yours. Rebuilding a one of a kind item is not simple, often very time consuming, often takes a variety of tool and lots of experience. Sounds like a bargin to me.

I just repaired a rotted sash of a Pella(very commom) window for a customer. Pella wanted $1072 for a new sash. I fixed the problem for $120, now that was a bargin, but I got lucky.

Old 11-27-09, 05:28 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Look in the yellow pages under Millwork, if there are any still in business in your area. They can duplicate what needs replacing. I don't know the scope of the work for $1000.00 but it sounds very cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: