2 door questions

Old 11-27-09, 06:22 AM
2 door questions

#1) I live in a relatively new home. The interior doors are just your basic, pre-hung white doors. The door on my bedroom is cracked and I wanted to replace it. My question is, do I need to replace the entire frame and door with a new pre-hung door or can I just buy a new door, take the old one off the hinges and put the new one on?

#2) I closed off the entrance to my formal living room with french doors. I framed it out, installed the doors, made sure they were plum, put in all my shims. Once it was set, I nailed the frame in place. I took the doors off to paint them and finish the sheetrock of the new wall area. When I went to put the doors back on, they didn't close. DAMN!!! Obviously something shifted along the way. I am trying to figure out the best way to rememdy this. It looks like the doors are off by about 1/8 of an inch pretty evenly from top to bottom. Can I just throw the doors on a table saw and trim of about 1/16 of an inch off of each door? Otherwise I have to remove all of the nails that I put into the frame and reset it....I don't know how to easily do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-09, 11:21 AM
I almost hate to ask this, but could the doors be installed up side down, etc, the left door on the right side frame and the right door on the left side frame.

I would be suprised if this is possible, but stuff happens.

Old 11-27-09, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, did you shim it with two shims at a time in the same location, one crossing the other? If not, you may have slanted the door frame by putting a triangular shaped shim in a square hole. I have seen this happen, too.

Old 11-27-09, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I did shim with 2 shims to prevent the frame from angling to one side. Also, I did make sure they were right side up. There is a small retractable ball at the tops of the doors that slides into a notch at the top when they close.