Privacy with new bathroom window

Old 12-14-09, 12:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Privacy with new bathroom window

I just had new windows installed on my house.

The bathroom has a window right in the shower about shoulder high. I need to find a way to cover the glass to provide privacy, but still allow light to filter through.

I tried the "frosted" window film, but it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

What else can I use that won't damage the new glass?

Old 12-14-09, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Check in the window & door section at one of the big box stores. They'll have a selection of decorative films you can apply that should do the trick.

Old 12-14-09, 01:53 PM
S
There are also spray glass frosting products available in paint sections of most hardware stores.

Old 12-14-09, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
This is something the installing company should have absolutely known to do...or at least ask you about it. Depending on the type of window (double hung or slider) it would be pretty simple and relatively inexpensive to swap the sashes. If a double hung, you could replace just the lower sash in about 30 seconds...

Every manufacturer offers a multitude of glass options (frosted, hammered, rain glass, etc). The film in a semi wet environment like that might be a problem.

Old 12-14-09, 02:28 PM
R
I tried the film, but it just didn't work the way I wanted it to.

The guy at Lowe's mentioned some kind of spray that goes onto windows that prevents viewing through the window, but provides diffused sunlight. And, of course, they didn't have any of it in stock.

I seem to recall, long ago, some kind of thin plexiglass stuff that had a textured frosted look to it. It would allow sunlight to enter, but it was impossible to see through it.

You had to cut this stuff with a box blade knife, but it wasn't nearly as thick as regular plexiglass. Nobody at Lowe's had a clue what I was talking about.

Old 12-14-09, 02:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I remember what you are talking about but I haven't seen any in years..... but I'd be leary of anything that could trap moisture behind it. I agree with Vic, the window company dropped the ball, they should have assumed you didn't want clear glass in the shower window and discussed the options prior to the job being done.

I'd contact the window company and see if they will do anything for you. As much as they charge, they ought to be willing to swap the sash out for no extra charge.

Old 12-14-09, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
ron...
I still think a new sash would be a better option...no moisture or mildew issues...

If you want to try a DIY solution..you might try cutting down one of the filters/diffusers intended for fluorescent drop ceiling lights. Attaching it might be problematic though....

A real hardware store or plastics/glass supplier might have the plexi stuff in stock...

Old 12-15-09, 04:02 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I just answered you question in the Glass & Mirror section. I agree with Gunguy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: