Recomendations for replacement windows

Old 01-01-10, 04:21 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Recomendations for replacement windows

I'm a first time home owner with a bit of home improvement experience from high school/college summer jobs. I'm looking to purchase/replace all the windows in the house myself and am looking for recomendations on whom/where to purchase them.

I've found laundry lists of negative reviews on all the major brands, but it's hard to tell which are valid. I'm sure some of the problems are due to improper installation, some from the customer who is never satisfied, and other's being just a small anomoly for which the product may typically be great.

I'm thinking about going with vinyl double/triple sliders for most the window and am looking for quality that will last at the best price. Another problem I've found is that some of the companies will only sell through a contractor and since I'm installing them myself, that's a no go.

Any recomendations would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-10, 04:40 PM
J
Not sure if they go down that far, check Viwinco(www.vinwinco.com). They have been around for a long time, made windows for Certainteed. Their best, Cambridge, are the ones I have used for about 20+ years. Qualify for energy credit(U.30 or better), lifetime warranty on glass, including breakage. Avoid big box, local manufacturers, you don't know how long they will be around.

Old 01-01-10, 07:56 PM
D
I have been a contractor for over 23 years. Here are a few of manufacturers I have used and wouldn't hesitate to use their name. Marvin, Jeld-wen and Andersen.

Be sure to use a window that qualifies for any tax credits. You will need to verify the requirements before you purchase. Here is a link for energy values Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

Old 01-02-10, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I've not had the pleasure of Viwinco install, yet, but have installed many JeldWen sliders and the customers really like them. Keep in mind 50% is the window and 50% is the installation procedure. If the best window is installed improperly you won't be happy. It is good you are shopping around.