Aluminum Threshold Weather Strip?

Old 01-03-10, 05:39 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Threshold Weather Strip?

Hello,
Our Door to our garage has an aluminum threshold under it. There was a plastic piece in the middle, right under our door that was about an inch thick and ran across the whole strip. This piece cracked and is broken. I pulled it out and I am now trying to replace this. I am wondering if I have to replace my whole threshold or is there someway to make something fit? I am looking for something with some weather stripping as this door has had problems with letting air in. I have posted some pictures of our Threshold and the piece that broke. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Flickr: dlannert1's Photostream

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Is there a brand name stamped into the front edge of the threshold, or anyplace that might narrow down the brand name? I have torn out many doors that have that same step on the outer 3/4" of the aluminum threshold, and I have seen the broken overlap cap that your pictures show... but I can't for the life of me think of the brand name.

Parts will be brand specific, so that's why I ask. There's not a very good chance you will find that part individually anyway. And in that case, yes a new threshold is probably the solution. But replacing it would likely involve removing the door. And if you remove the door, you might just consider replacing the whole thing with a prehung exterior door unit.

Old 01-04-10, 08:52 AM
B
I was hoping that wasn't the answer. I searched all over the piece for a brand to no avail. I thought maybe it was scratched off and I could find a part of a name or serial but nothing. I specifically did not post anything about replacing the door out of fear that this was going to be the outcome. I knew I would not be able to replace that part and I would ultimately have to replace the entire door with a new pre hung exterior. I just simply can not afford that right now. Part of the problem that started this consists of the door having a 1/3 inch clearance from the threshold that is allowing a solid flow of cold air in. I plan on placing a solid piece of wood in the track and placing a new Aluminum threshold over this with a new Door Bottom weather strip. Thank you for your time and your post.

Old 01-04-10, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
If installing a new door is out of the question then that sounds like a good solution. But I think you might want to reconsider adding the aluminum threshold.

The wood insert that you make can be ripped to the exact size and thickness you need on a table saw (put the new door bottom weatherstrip on first, then make a couple test pieces to figure out the correct thickness) so that it will seal up nicely to your new door bottom weatherstrip, and not be too tight or too loose.

If you have a wood floor under the door, predrill some holes in it, and screw it down through the floor. If it is cement, you would want to predrill a hole and use Tapcon screws, countersinking the heads so they are flush. A little construction adhesive underneath the wood filler wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-08-10, 12:12 PM
S
An easier and less expensive possible alternative is a door sweep.This is a weatherstrip that attches to the door.It has a rigid peice with a flexible section below it that runs the length of the door.It is attched right at the floor so the flexible section hangs down over the crack and blocks wind flow.There are a wide variety of types including colors and materials it is made of and are available at any hardware store.

Old 01-08-10, 01:13 PM
B
Thanks SPDavid and XSleeper for your comments. I ended up buying a door sweep and a solid piece of oak. I cut the piece of oak perfectly to the empty space in the threshold as the rest of it was in good condition. After attaching the door sweep the two pieces have provided a perfect seal and now the door no longer allows cold air in, the whole downstairs area is now able to keep up with the furnace. Total cost 9$. Thanks again for your help.