Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacement window or new construction if siding is being replaced?

Old 01-11-10, 07:03 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My next two projects on my house are to replace the siding and the old leaky aluminium windows. I am trying to figure out if I should do both at the same time as this would give me the option of using new construction windows instead of replacement windows.

Are there adavantage/disavantages (including cost) to use new construction windows or replacement windows if I replace the siding at the same time?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your windows are aluminum..you will prob be doing a lot of cutting to try and fit replacements. Replacements back east are really designed for wood frame windows...out here in the West its a different story.

With N/C windows you will be able to do an inspection of the underlying framing and sheathing and ensure you have good watertite integrity.

Guess I'm saying I'd vote for N/C.

Old 01-11-10, 09:28 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Ditto on the new construction windows, plus doing both at the same time opens the option of adding a layer of rigid foam before the siding goes back on. The rigid insulation covers the studs, rim joist, and top plate, all areas of significant heat loss.

If you have traditional 3 1/2" walls, this may be the best time to upgrade their performance.

Bud

Old 01-11-10, 09:59 AM
I'm doing the same job (windows and siding) and have opted for New windows instead of replacements. It allows me to fix any water damage and replace any needed studding that may have rotted. (there are at least 3 leaking windows).

I got some estimates and the windows themselves don't seem to be too much higher than replacements. At least worth the increase in my opinion. I think the cost rises with the additional stuff I will be able to do by installing new windows, which is fine with me. Hopefully, and likely, I will get that cost back in heating/ cooling savings over time.

My house leaks like a sieve!

Old 01-11-10, 10:16 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
The last post reminded me that replacement windows are sized differently than they used to be. We used to have to add to the window to get our rough opening. Now the window size IS the rough opening (ro). Often times close enough, but sometimes it requires some adjustments to the ro. Using standard sizes helps to reduce/eliminate the special order costs.

Bud

Old 01-17-10, 09:17 PM
D
You'll be much happier in the long run with a good quality N/C window. Properly installed house wrap. Insulated gaps around the windows. Watertight/ windtight installation. The only draw back could be the need for new interior trim.

Old 01-18-10, 10:04 AM
G
Unless you add foam to change the depth of the new window/inside jamb, N/C would be better.

Old aluminum windows are typically 1/4" shallower on the inside than new vinyl windows.
When replacing, the size is not custom, usually. The original builder used stock sizes that match todays sizes. Unless a custom build. Remove the old window, remove 1/4"-3/8" of drywall trim wrap from the depth of jambs, sill and head from the outside with power saw while plastic is installed over hole on inside. Install new window, caulk from inside. Very fast, remember to add new head flashing under builders paper/housewrap. Or, pull all wrap inside, re-do it all after foaming next to jambs and head. (More energy saving -- but not labor).

Be safe, Gary

Old 01-21-10, 05:40 PM
M
Post new windows

i did the same project three years ago and decided to go with andersen windows. i have board and batt siding and pulled off the necessary boards and batts and went with new construction andersens. stay with the same size if possible. you can always make the opening smaller to make it bigger is a lot more work/interior and exterior w/trim, headers, & sheetrock. you can do it yourself with the nail on flanges. also use the 6" wide seal tape around the windows. install it like flashing - start at bottom and work up. hardest part is the trim for a novice. i saved huge $$ by doing it my self and i am sure a much better job. remember - no one takes care of your home better then you. i know that hd would have subbed out the job to a local contractor, and woulld not have did as good of an installation job. buy good windows.