Reversing a Sliding Glass Door

Old 01-27-10, 10:51 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reversing a Sliding Glass Door

Due to adding a sink & counter in my finished basement, I need to reverse my sliding glass door so that the half that slides open is on the right side instead of the left side. This is a Pella metal door with a wooden interior about 17 years old. Is reversing a sliding glass door possible? How is it done?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-10, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depends on the door...some yes, some no. Best bet would be to contact Pella or visit the website and see what you can find. Not very familiar with their products.

Some brands you just flip the moving panel and move the rollers to what used to be the top. Others are machined on both sides for the handle and latch and you use plates to cover the unused side.

You will have to be very careful during disassembly. Seals and such can get brittle. You might wind up replacing it in a few months if it starts to fog or leak.

Personally..it being that old..I'd try to leave it alone and save money for a new higher efficiency door.

btw where in VA?...I lived in the Tidewater area for over 20 yrs.

Old 01-27-10, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I agree with Vic, some can and some can't. One thing to remember is to ensure your fixed panel is on the outside after the switch to prevent the lifting off of the movable panel. With it being a wooden frame, my bet is the fixed panel is not only screwed or nailed shut, it is glued as well.

Old 01-27-10, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
The Pella doors I am familiar with are not reversible.