Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Exterior French Doors - Need Security Advice Please

Old 02-02-10, 10:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

All,

I have large french doors (Approximately 8+ feet high) on the front of my house. The stationary door of course has the upper and lower locks (slide locks into the framing). Although these seem 'flimsy', they are there none the less.

Then the door that gets opened all of the time only has a single deadbolt into a flimsy strike plate.

My goal is to secure this set of doors as much as possible, while keeping it as attractive as possible in the process. In other words, no highly visible locks, braces, latches, bolts, etc...

I have read of 3 and 5 point locking systems for this kind of installation, but cannot quite figure this out.

1) Are these able to be retro-fitted into a door, or does it take replacing the doors with new ones containing these locking systems ?

2) Who in the world works on these kinds of things ? I have inquired with Home Depot, Lowes, Locksmiths/repairs, etc...but no one has any suggestions for me. I have yet to contact a builder, but other than that, I have no ideas.

3) Are there any other viable solutions to making this part of my house as secure as possible. I know french doors are by nature less secure, but there has to be some alternatives to make it better and safer than what it is today.

Thank you for any help or insight you can provide!

Ronnie

Old 02-02-10, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ronnie, welcome to the forums! None of the big box stores will be any help. You will need to contact a door and window store to see if they have any 3 or 5 point locking system sets. It is usually cheaper and better to install the entire door set with the locks in place, as the routing and inleting that will be necessary will be monumental. That is, unless you just can't part with your doors. The doors won't be cheap but you will find the locking will secure it better and it won't rack in the frame like I am sure yours does, or will shortly with no support on the high sides.
Where are you located in Georgia (largest state east of the Mississippi). There may be dealers near you that could give better advice on what to expect.

Old 02-03-10, 05:34 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler. I have lurked here for quite some time; what a ton of GREAT information provided here!

I am in West Georgia, near Carrollton, GA. I would love to get any feedback from dealers who may have additional insight. As long as my wife can find a set of doors she likes, and that fit with the look of the house, parting with the doors is possible, especially if if it that much more economical.

And yes, I already see where the top and bottom of these doors have quite a bit of give in them, which is one of my main concerns as well; with a little work, that give actually allows access to the sliding (not flipping) locking mechanisms on the stationary side.

Thanks again for replying; let's see if we get any others as well.

Old 02-03-10, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Check in Marietta for a Jeld Wen dealer, or for others you feel comfortable with. They will have a good selection and can get doors to match your decor, etc. Their showrooms have an abundance of choices. The one here in Hiawassee has a bunch of choices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: