Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Andersen Low-E4 glass vs. Low-E4 SmartSun glass

Old 02-04-10, 08:04 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Apparently only the Low-E4 SmartSun glass qualifies for the 2010 tax rebate. Since my total window order will be way over $5,000 I'm considering putting standard Low-E4 glass in the basement and on the northern side of the house. Does this make sense? The U-factor on both windows is the same, and only the SHGC is different.

--Rob

Old 02-04-10, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As long as the different windows are not visible from the outside or inside....it doesn't really matter.

If you can stand in the LR for instance...and see both types of windows...there will be an obvious difference in the glass. Prob the same for the exterior view.

That said...I had customers that did it back in Tidewater before any tax rebates...just because they didn't want that hot afternoon sun streaming in.

Old 02-04-10, 04:14 PM
J
As I understand Andersen glass, Smart Sun is more for for the southern states with lots of HOT sun. Northern VA should do fine with Lo-E4. Not sure of current ratings(they are always improving), but you need a U factor of .30 or lower for the energy credit.

Old 02-05-10, 06:22 AM
P
Correct, this year U-factor needs to be at least 0.30 as wells as SHGC at least 0.30. So only SmartSun windows qualify.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: