Metal window frame with no clips what now?

Old 02-26-10, 05:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal window frame with no clips what now?

Hi: I have a very old metal window frame, the house was built in 1957. I need to replace a broken pane. When removing the putty I find no spring clips around the window. What do I do now. All instructions I find refer to spring clips. The glass seems to be held in place entirely by the putty. There are no holes I can see to hook a clip into as some instructions indicate.

Help

Old 02-27-10, 05:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yeah, most of the metal framed window panes, especially replacement, were just held in place with window glazing compound. It will cure out and you can paint it.

Old 02-27-10, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I've reglazed a lot more wooden windows than I have metal frame but as long as the glass will stay in place as you apply new glazing - there shouldn't be any issues.

It wouldn't hurt to put a thin bead of caulk on the frame [where the glass contacts the inside] prior to putting the glass in place. This will help you get a better seal.

Old 02-27-10, 06:43 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Steel and aluminum casement windows required spring clips to mechanically hold the glass in place. The way to replace the glass without clips is to put a bead of silicone or siliconized latex caulk against the edge of the frame and press the glass against it (this will secure the glass) then apply your glazing compound as usual. Be sure that the frame is well cleaned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: