Paint 6 panel door

Old 03-10-10, 01:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint 6 panel door

I'm painting my new six panels doors (pine) and have noticed in the past when the winter comes the panels will shrink enough to expose unpainted wood. I understand the process of the panel expanding and contracting with the weather. Any tricks or advice to help with this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Old 03-10-10, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 753 Posts
only trick I know is to stain and varnish the pine panel doors and paint the masonite panel doors

If you prime and paint the doors when they are the driest - the cracks won't look as bad but there is no getting away from them.... and never ever caulk them in place - you'll just wind up with a crack somewhere else in the panel [probably right down the middle]

Old 03-10-10, 01:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes I watched a home improvement show recently where the homeowner caulked all of the kitchen cupboards and felt really bad for her, she was really proud of herself for caulking them, think I just heard one of them cracking now!

I'm painting them now which is about as dry as its going to get being that I'm still running the furnace. I was just hoping there was something simple I may have overlooked. Thanks for the quick reply!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: