Vinyl window install questions

Old 03-13-10, 06:32 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl window install questions

I have 9 (single pane, wood) windows that I am replacing with Simonton 5050 vinyl windows. I have purchased 2 of the windows and installed one yesderday. Here are a few questions:

I installed one unit directly over the sill. Since the sill is angled, that means there is a triangular gap between window and sill. Do I need to place a strip of wood along sill to support window casing? I used the vinyl trim piece to cover the gap.

What tools do Pros use to trim the vinyl? I used a microplane.

How much caulk is best? I applied beads about the size of a basic ball point pen. I smeared it with my finger to make it curved and get good contact with surfaces. Do people use those plastic caulk spreders?

Overall the installation was not too tough. I was a little suprised I had to trim the welds on the corners, you would think they would do that at the plant. 8 more windows and a patio door to go!

Old 03-13-10, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Not familiar with Simonton's, but the piece you are referring to is a sill expander. There are 2 types, one is shaped like an L, and it gets fastened to the sill before you put the window in. On some windows you have to create a notch in the sides so that the window will slip over the expander... others already have the notch. A second type of expander gets cut to the correct length and width, and then it can be snapped onto a groove in the face of the window after the window is installed. In either case, you usually want to put some fiberglass or low-expansion foam under the window before you set it in place. No wood shim is usually needed- just cover the gap. I also usually will run a bead of sealant along the interior edge of the sill and then set the window into that sealant as you install the window. Some people will run a bead of sealant along the blind stop and then push the window into that... other people will caulk the exterior after the window is installed. Often, caulk attracts dust so depending on what type of caulk you are using, you might not want to be running a big bead of caulk and widen it with your finger. After a few months it might look like a big dirty rectangle around your window. Some silicones will attract dirt. If you can caulk neatly, no tooling should be needed- the caulk nozzle does all the tooling you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: