Falling upper sash

Old 03-17-10, 05:32 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Falling upper sash

As I just purchased this house with all MI vinyl replacement windows, I noticed on about 5 windows, whenever I unlock the window hasp, the upper sash comes slamming down like a guillotine. Is there any type of repair for this problem or is something out of kilter? Also, these windows are double-pane type and there is condensation between the panes on the inside. Don't suppose these can be resealed. Anyway, thanks for any replies.

Old 03-17-10, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Your windows probably have spiral balances that need to be replaced. If you tip the windows in to clean, you will see them on the sides, a tube with a spiral coming out if it. The spring inside wears out and replacement is probably needed. If the spiral rod is no longer connected, it could be that the pivot shoe that they connect to could be broken. In either case, you just need to order some replacement parts, as well as the tool used to wind the spiral balance.

The glass is a double paned insulating glass unit (IGU) and can be replaced by any glass company. If you wanted to, you might contact the window company directly and see if the glass can be replaced under warranty. Many vinyl window companies get swallowed up by larger conglomerates, making warranty work nearly impossible to obtain. So good luck with that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: