Vertical sliding window came off

Old 03-24-10, 07:44 AM
Question Vertical sliding window came off

This is a vertical sliding window. The lower slides up and over the top panel. There are two spring loaded frames or mechanisms on each side of the window frame. There is a wire that has a small hook and it hooks in a slot in the frame in the wall.
Here is my question:
I have the sliding sliding frame/panel out and the two spring channels are out too. Do I put the window in first, slide the channels up both sides of the window then somehow try and hook the clips into the slots? Or do I put the channels in the place, hook the clips, then put the window panel in? I have removed the plastic stops in the very top of the frame so that I can push the window up all the way to the top.
Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-10, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you are describing a block and tackle spring balance. If so, it has a string visible on the back side and some tiny pulleys, with a hook near the bottom. There are usually clips in the sides of the frame that you need to pull out with your fingernail. The balances should never come out of the frame since they are dangerous, and can fly out like a rocket if you don't know what you're doing.

Pull out the clips on each side. Try and place the hook into the top hole (if there is a bottom hole, it is for the string knot to fit into). Once you have the hook in the hole, push down on the balance until the top of the balance hooks underneath the clip. If it will not hook without coming out, the nylon cap is broken and the balances need to be replaced. If you get both balances installed without any problem, then you can install the sash by placing the bottom of the sash in the middle of the window, and push to the side. This type of double hung is called a sideload because it pushes to the side to remove.

Old 03-25-10, 09:29 AM
Hi Sleeper. Yes it works like a block and tackle spring balance where when pushed upwards it will stop and sit in any position.
When you say "The balances should never come out of the frame" are you referring to the metal frame that contains the spring and rope? There are two, one for each side. Also when you say "sash" I assume that refers to the actual window glass and frame around it?
I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Old 03-25-10, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
by "frame" I mean the sides of the window frame that both sashes fit into and slide between, not the balance itself. The hole that the hook goes into is in the frame. The clips I was referring to are usually a few inches above the hole that the hook goes into, also in the frame. Usually the balances just hang in the frame and do not come out. If they come out, something usually went wrong.

And yes, a sash is the glass and frame as a unit.

Old 03-29-10, 08:32 AM
Got it in thanks for the help

Old 09-28-14, 11:11 AM
What is the best place to get the parts for this?