How to trim window stool?

Old 03-26-10, 06:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to trim window stool?

I'm going to order replacement vinyl windows. My existing windows are only about 3" thick, while the replacements are 3.25", so I'll have to cut the trim back before I put it back on. That's not a problem, since it will be removed.

The window stool won't be removed. What's the best way of trimming about 1/4" from the inside of this, so the window fits?

I've been thinking of one of the vibrating tools - Dremmel makes one - that has a saw blade attachment. With that, I can cut neatly in place, I think. This will be slow, but I don't know any other tool that will let me cut it back easily.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-26-10, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Yes, the oscillating tools would work for that, but be advised you'll probably burn up a blade doing it... that's a lot of cutting.

I'd probably recommend the Rockwell or even a Harbor Freight over the Dremel. Just MHO.

If you aren't trying to match any other windows in the house, another easy thing to do is to put 1/2 x 3/4" baseshoe around your extension jambs and over the stool to hide any gaps (in case you have an ugly cut.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: