How to adjust a UPVC front door

Old 03-28-10, 03:36 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to adjust a UPVC front door

I have a front UPVC door which is not closing tightly at the hinge side and causing a draft. How can I adjust the door so that it closes more tightly?

Kevin

Old 03-28-10, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
When the door is closed, please look at the gap that is between the door and the jamb. Is this gap fairly straight, and a consistent width? Or is it larger at the top than it is at the bottom?

If it's straight, I'd say that it is probably the outside weatherstrip that needs to be replaced. I've rarely seen any door that leaks on the hinge side. If the gap between the door and the jamb is funny, I'd suspect a lack of shims behind the jamb, and that the hinge-side jamb is not straight. Fixing that would involve removing trim in order to reshim and fix the jamb with some long finish screws.

Unless you've got some funky doors in the UK, that's the best I can come up with.

Old 03-28-10, 03:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What sleeper said, hinge side rarely an issue. Something else to check.........make sure the door is not trying to close on the stop molding. If no molding, closing too close to the edge.

Old 04-21-10, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Thanks for the SPAM blackdove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: