Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Compozit and Vinyl Window, which one should I use?

Old 04-02-10, 11:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We are getting some quotes from different companies in our area. Most of companies' windows come with vinyl frame. One company has compozit windows from THV. But the price for compozit is double price the second highest one for vinyl frame. We have 2 double hung and 9 slider (two are smaller. the other 7 are a larger). For compozit, the price is $15,000 total. The second high for vinyl is $6,664.

My question is: is there any big difference between compozit and vinyl. I know compozit is more solid than vinyl. But in St Louis, MO, does it matter? We have 7 windows towards west direction which could have more heat on the vinyl frames. If the vinyl windows can last around 15 years, we could just go with vinyl for half price.

Appreciated for your comments here.

Lou

Old 04-03-10, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 992 Votes on 903 Posts
Interesting story- I used to install windows for Thermal Line Windows who are the ones who developed compozit in association with GE Plastics. They were gobbled up by THV a few years back. THV did away with all of TLW's old window profiles leaving all our customers holding the bag when they needed replacement parts when they did away with their vinyl line and developed a whole new line of windows using compozit. I'm not a big fan of them.

Compozit lacks the flawlessly smooth surface that vinyl has... it does show some lines in the profiles from the extrusion process, which is something that drives me nuts. Compozit's advantages are mostly in dark colors like dark brown where the window gets hot. A white window reflects light and would not get as hot as a dark window in the sun.

We also experienced "some" problems with the compozit being brittle. Yes it's stronger than vinyl and more rigid, meaning the frames can often be less bulky. The slider version of the compozit window had problems with the rollers beating up the track that they ride on. We never had that problem with TLW's old vinyl monorail slider that slid on velcro pads, not rollers. What a nice window that was. Thanks THV for discontinuing them.

IMO if you only want a 15 yr window go with something that is still a good quality, but less expensive.

Old 04-03-10, 08:42 AM
M
Thanks Xsleeper. You calm down us. Hoho. Need rethink about this sky high price windows worthiness.

Old 04-03-10, 09:08 AM
M
Hi XSleeper,

Do you have recommendation for any brand windows or windows company? I already quote from Thomas contruction, Dalco, windows world. Want to contact more and get quote.

Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Interesting story- I used to install windows for Thermal Line Windows who are the ones who developed compozit in association with GE Plastics. They were gobbled up by THV a few years back. THV did away with all of TLW's old window profiles leaving all our customers holding the bag when they needed replacement parts when they did away with their vinyl line and developed a whole new line of windows using compozit. I'm not a big fan of them.

Compozit lacks the flawlessly smooth surface that vinyl has... it does show some lines in the profiles from the extrusion process, which is something that drives me nuts. Compozit's advantages are mostly in dark colors like dark brown where the window gets hot. A white window reflects light and would not get as hot as a dark window in the sun.

We also experienced "some" problems with the compozit being brittle. Yes it's stronger than vinyl and more rigid, meaning the frames can often be less bulky. The slider version of the compozit window had problems with the rollers beating up the track that they ride on. We never had that problem with TLW's old vinyl monorail slider that slid on velcro pads, not rollers. What a nice window that was. Thanks THV for discontinuing them.

IMO if you only want a 15 yr window go with something that is still a good quality, but less expensive.

Old 04-03-10, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 992 Votes on 903 Posts
Lou,

No, I don't usually make it my business to recommend (or bash) any particular brand of window. There are so many different Brands out there it's hard to know where to begin. Some are low quality, others are better but it's hard for consumers to tell the difference, so they assume that price is a good indicator of quality. (usually true, but sometimes not) I'm pretty sure the vinyl bid that you got is pretty average in price and quality for an average quality vinyl window, that is around $500-600 installed. A company that has a good reputation in your area, satisfied customers, and a list of referrals, is probably a safe bet. Perhaps some friends of yours have been happy with their new windows- those things can really give you peace of mind when deciding on a major purchase like that.

I've heard some people say good things about Window World, other people say bad things. It probably depends on the crew that installs them. A buddy of mine used to work for Window World- he said they don't pay their crews much, and that the only way they could make any money is to go FAST.

So the one thing that I will recommend, whatever company you are thinking about going with, is to actually go out and look at some of the jobs that they have done. Once you look at the workmanship, that will be a big deciding factor on who you end up going with. Don't assume that the workmanship of every company is the same. Again, that has to do with the crew of installers and their company standards- and nothing to do with the window itself. You could pay $1000 per window and not be happy with the way it looks when it's done. On the other hand a $500 window that is cleanly installed can often make you much more happy in the end.

Old 04-16-10, 04:54 AM
S
skl
Custom Order Online

Try this website. I found the cost of the windows to be 50-60% below what is available. Then hire out the install.

Old 04-16-10, 04:17 PM
J
From a purely economic standpoint, I could buy Marvin windows for the price quoted for compozit. I am not familiar with them. but I know Marvin makes a quality product. You could get Andersen for for about 1/3-1/2 less than Marvin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: