Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Painting a fiberglass entry door...defeats the purpose?

Old 04-07-10, 01:31 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Looking to get a new entry door for our home. Current door is an old hollow wood door that is approx 60 years old. Would like to go with fiberglass since it is stronger and requires less maintenance.

My wife wants a black door. Would painting a fiberglass door defeat the purpose of wanting fiberglass for less maintenance? The paint would chip off the fiberglass just like it would chip off the wood, right?

Old 04-07-10, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If it gets any sun...black is a real bad idea.

If no sun..you should be good.

It won't flake nearly as badly since FG doesn't absorb moisture. It expands and contracts, prob more than wood, but moisture under the paint is worse.

btw...hollow core door as an entry door? Jeez..where the heck you live?

Old 04-07-10, 02:09 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gunguy. We live where burglary isn't as much of a concern as it is in other parts of the country. Especially 60 years ago when this door was installed. In fact, there is no deadbolt on this door, just a knob lock. I bet when this door was first installed, the door was rarely ever locked.

Hmmm... We get a little sun, but probably not direct sun. The house faces East, and has a little inset of about 2 feet from the exterior wall, and then about another 1 foot overhang for the roof. I'd say it gets early morning direct sun but by the time the sun gets high it is shaded.

Even in the best case scenario, though, how often are we talking about repainting?

Old 04-07-10, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Well...the paint will only be for looks on the door itself..the trim and frame is a different story.

Basically..since its pretty much protected from most weather...I'd repaint when it looks bad...lol. You may get a little chaulking over time..but that won't really affect the door.

A good quality latex over a good quality primer (also latex, due to the expansion thing) should prob last 8-10 yrs with no problem. Make sure the door is super clean!

Check the manufacturers recommendations...but thats what most door makers said back when I was selling them.

Old 04-12-10, 06:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 856 Upvotes on 749 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, dark colors can void the warranty on some exterior doors. They are afraid the dark color will make the door absorb too much heat and warp - may not be a concern with your covered door.

Any new door should have paper work with painting/finishing instructions. You can't go wrong following them. I'd probably skip the primer but add a little emulsa bond to the first coat of latex paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: