Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Disable the lock on a 1950's bedroom door knob?

Old 04-07-10, 02:49 PM
W
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts

I've got a problem.

I've got a 1-1/2 year-old daughter that thinks it is fun to push the locking button on the door knob in her bedroom. Unfortunately, she doesn't know how to unlock the knob after doing this. These knobs are the old, 1950's knobs that don't have a key, nor do they have the little hole that can be punched open with a paperclip. The only solution is a crowbar.

Now that I have the door repaired and piecing the jam back together is in progress, I need to solve the problem of this locking knob. Sure, I could buy a brand new knob, but I am hoping to save some money and find a way to disable the locking mechanism.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-07-10, 03:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Put the lock on the outside instead of the inside. Less then $10 for a non-locking knob set and that is what I would recomend.

Old 04-08-10, 05:57 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take the lock off and see if you can remove the guts it shouldn't be difficult. If not then as ray said a new lock is only about $7 dollars. It won't match but would solve the problem.

Old 04-08-10, 06:13 AM
W
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Put the lock on the outside instead of the inside. Less then $10 for a non-locking knob set and that is what I would recomend.
Hahah, now I can imagine one of us being inside her room and her walking up and locking us inside.

All of our money is going toward debt retirement right now, and even though it is only $10 ea., I have a few other knobs with the same issue and I'd like to save all the money I can.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-08-10, 10:45 AM
Closet knobs generally don't have locks so swap with a closet lock.

Old 04-08-10, 01:49 PM
W
Ray2047, that is a great idea. Thanks!

Old 04-08-10, 07:32 PM
D
Make sure you put the locking button on the outside of the closet for obvious reasons.

Old 04-08-10, 08:51 PM
Make sure you put the locking button on the outside of the closet for obvious reasons.
You might consider gluing a piece of foam rubber in the strike hole and a thin strip of foam on the strike plate. The lock can't lock and the friction of the foam should hold the closet door shut. Just choose a little used closet.

Old 04-08-10, 08:53 PM
W
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
Right, so I can lock my 5 year old in the closet and he can't get out.

Actually, these knobs have a safety mechanism that automatically unlocks the knob if the knob is locked and then the door is closed. Obviously to keep you from accidently locking yourself out of your room. However, I guess it is still possible that my 1-1/2 year old could think that hiding in the closet would be fun, then punching the lock button while in the closet would be even more fun.

Old 04-08-10, 11:10 PM
O/T sort. When I was growing up the neighbors had a closet they used for can goods. It had a padlock and hasp on the door because the husband was convinced the brother-in-law was stealing his can goods. Three kids under 10 looking for something to do on a hot Arkansas day. Moma goes into the closet to get a can of something. Kids can be quick. Took 'em no time to get the padlock in.

Well luckily the trap door to the attic was in the closet so Moma managed to crawl up into the attic. This is no northern attic with headroom to stand up and a floor to walk on. This is a 4" high at the peak space where you have to crawl on the ceiling joists. Well she makes it to end vent and spends thirty minutes yelling before a neighbor finally hears her.

Old 04-09-10, 05:37 AM
D
You left out the good part. How bad of a beating did those kids get?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: