Broken Pella Storm Door Lock

Old 04-12-10, 05:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken Pella Storm Door Lock

The lock on my relatively new full view Pella storm door failed - with the door closed. I can not open it for access to the mounting screws for either the hinge or the lock side but am able to walk through it by removing the full class insert; at least I can still go out the front door! I've disassembled the lock as far as possible in the closed position but find no to way to open or remove it. The only alternative I see is to sacrifice the door by cutting the aluminum frame up in order to remove it and buy a new replacement. Are there any access methods that I've overlooked?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-10, 07:00 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense to contact a local Pella dealer or the Pella company direct, or even a local locksmith?

Old 04-12-10, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Not sure how far your lock extends into the trim through the z-bar mortise, but you could remove the screws from the latch side z-bar (they're probably hidden under a snap-in vinyl cap), then maybe you would have enough play to yank the door open.

It almost sounds like something went wrong during the installation. The thumbturn won't retract the deadbolt? And the key won't turn it either? Never heard of that one!

Old 01-01-11, 10:07 AM
S
Help

Our storm door is locked shut too. How were you able to fix yours?

Old 01-24-14, 10:54 AM
J
Pella Rolscreen Storm Door - latch jammed with door closed

Pella Rolscreen Storm Door (new 2006) - latch jammed with door closed. Dead bolt was NOT jammed and still worked. The door itself was not jammed and still moved a little. Removed handles and escutcheons, soaked lock body mechanism inside the door with WD-40 and waited 24 hours. No joy, latch still jammed, after wiggling the handle in every way possible. Contacted Pella Storm Door Service at 866-809-9460. The Pella contact suggested removing the screw cover strip on the latch side and removing the 5 screws holding the latch side trim. This is a waste of time because the striker plate is still held firmly by 3 screws you can't get to. The striker plate is what the striker is held by. I finally used a pry bar to spring the edge of the door inward (working from inside) so I could insert a thin strip of metal to try to retract the striker. No good. Pried the door a little more to get a flat blade screw driver on the striker. Latch striker was jammed solid. With the door pried, I then had room to insert the blade of a reciprocating saw and -sawed off the striker- to open the door. Before starting the reciprocating saw, insert strips of aluminum flashing on either side of the blade to protect the door. Bend the flashing at right angle and ask an assistant to hold the ends There was only minor scratching to the aluminum door. After getting the door open, I wrote down the Warranty Registration Number and phoned the Pella Storm Door Service number again. Ordered new lock body for $20.31, which he said was still available. Pella lock bodies have only a one year warranty, so expect problems. Internet search showed this is a common problem with Pella Storm Doors.

Old 12-08-15, 07:06 PM
D
Lightbulb Remove latch without damaging door or jamb.

To get the door open and then allow latch removal, do this.
Remove interior and exterior knob and latch trim plates.
See photos. On the door interior you will see two oval cutout areas.
Use a fine round blade vibrasaw or similar to turn the two ovals into one big oval.
Remove the cut-out piece of aluminum.
Behind is a latch release that you can put a small screwdriver, etc on and push the door latch open.
This way after you replace the latch, you'll also be ready for the NEXT failure.
The interior trim plate will cover the cut out area.

Attached Images   
Old 12-08-15, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Good info, Dilbird. Hopefully that will help anyone who comes across this old thread in the future.