Mold on Caulk Around North Facing Windows

Old 04-27-10, 08:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mold on Caulk Around North Facing Windows

Hi, The caulk on the inside of my north facing windows gets mold on it every winter. The windows are in the shade for the most part.
I have soaked a rag in bleach and cleaned the mold off the caulk but this seems to be only a temporary fix. How do I stop the mold from returning on the caulk? What type of caulk would I used to replace the caulk? Do I have to remove around the entire window or only ledge portion where the mold is growing?
Thanks for your assistance

Old 04-27-10, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
Mold/mildew will likely always be a problem on the north side where the dew gets it damp and the sun has a hard/slow time drying it off.

Is it feasible to paint the caulk? That will help some, you could also replace the caulk with one that has more mildewcide in it - like tub and bath caulk.

Mixing a little bleach and water in a container and using an old brush to apply it might make cleaning off the mildew a little easier.

Old 04-27-10, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
mark....man..sorry to get on ya like this all the time...lol.

Its the caulk on the INSIDE of the windows.

I think most likely that there is no insulation in the voids around the window frames and the cold air is causing condensation at the joint....the caulk. If these are vinyl replacement windows..thats even more likely.

I imagine you need to remove trim as needed insulate using DAP spray foam (non-expanding) and reinstall trim and caulk the windows inside and out.

These always help....http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 04-27-10, 01:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
I guess I need new glasses

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: