Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Remove Sash/jambliner from jeld-wen frame for existing window?

Old 05-11-10, 05:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I purchased jeld-wen tradition plus windows for my home but then hurt my back. I think I can handle removing the jambliners and sashes to replace them, as that is all that I would really need to do to make the wife happy. The sash openings are the same. Does anyone know if this was possible? I called jeld-wen and was told that since I have no "jamb jacks" it wouldn't work out. Any truth to that? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-10, 07:56 PM
C
Well, I purchased them so I guess I will let you know!

Old 05-27-10, 09:07 AM
Before we replaced all of our windows with Soft-Lite, we had Caradco windows (now Jeld-Wen). We had one window that was troublesome and replaced it with a Jeld-Wen Snap Pak, very easy installation and all went well. Hope that helps.

Old 06-05-10, 07:03 PM
C
Well, I have my windows. I can't seem to figure out how to get the jambliners out of the new frames. I am pretty sure they are retained with clips. Does anyone have experience removing them? I don't want to overdo it and crack a jambliner or anything.

Old 06-05-10, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Most jamb liners do have clips behind them. I believe the best tool to use is a siding unlock tool. There are usually at least 3 clips- near the bottom, middle and top of the jamb liner. So you would pick a spot that is 1/3 up or down from the top/bottom (in other words, somewhere between the lower and middle clips) and slide a thin putty knife behind the jamb liner. Pry in just enough to make a gap wide enough so that you can slip the siding unlock tool into the gap. Then slide the siding unlock tool up/down until you hit the clip. Then I believe you need to pull the jamb liner toward you slightly to unhook it from the clip.

The siding tool I'm talking about is the Malco Sideswiper II, available in most hardware stores.

But I have no way of knowing whether this is right or not, since no one can be familiar with how every conceivable brand of window is assembled. But that's where I'd start. You're wise to want to be careful and not break anything, so be gentle.

Old 06-06-10, 07:51 PM
C
I popped one out and it has no clips, but did have a bit of silicone adhesive toward the bottom. The jambliner is held in place mainly by kerfs on the exterior and interior stops that some extra jambliner plastic fits into. I could just trim the jambliner and use the retaining system of my old jambliner, but I think I'd rather cut some channels in the old windowframe to retain it. I'm sure it will be more energy efficient that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: