Anderson Casement window rotting out

Old 05-15-10, 06:26 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anderson Casement window rotting out

When I went to paint my window I noticed that the bottom horizontal peice of wood on the casement was very soft. When I poked around a bit I could easily pull it all apart with a screw driver. It doesn't seem like the vertical sides are rotted at all. Do you think I can replace the peice of wood that is rotted. I have some wood working experience and could probably cut a peice of wood to the same size and shape. I think it is to rotted for any kind of wood putty or similar fix. The bottom sill is only slightly rotted on the outside edge. The window glass and inside wood is all perfect. Thanks for any sugestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-10, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
Cutting out the rot and replacing with new wood should be a viable fix..... but remember we can't see what you see
a pic or two would be nice

Old 05-17-10, 04:27 PM
J
Check with Andersen, wood guaranteed for min. 10 yrs, possibly more. Very unusual for one of their windows.

Old 05-17-10, 08:54 PM
H
Thanks for this advice. I have included a link to a photo of the window so that you can see how badly it has rotted.

http://www.epocrates.com/xnc/0_0.jpg

Old 05-18-10, 04:53 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
That is an Andersen Primed Casement Window made from 1932 to 1989. You can buy the entire sash from Andersen or and Andersen Dealer. Find it here: http://www.andersenwindows.com/homeo...d_Casement.pdf
As long as the vertical sash stiles are not rotted at the bottom corners, you can fabricate the bottom rail.