Cracked Skylight

Old 05-22-10, 08:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Skylight

I tried my question on another DIY board but have not receive any opinions on what caused my problem, so I repeat it here to see if a roofing contractor or skylight installer can offer an opinion.

I installed a commercial skylight manufactured by "Velux". It has 2 bubble type domes made of acrylic. The outer dome is ok but the inner one has a crack in it. I used a acrylic cement to seal the crack but fear it may not hold or maybe another crack may develop. I installed this product about 4 or more years ago. Last year in the Spring, is when I noticed a small crack. But this year, the crack has gotten longer.

During the first Winter, I was getting condensation even with the bathroom fan on. The skylight sits above the ceiling area by about 2-1/2 feet and creates a tunnel effect for heat to rise into this area. So I built a homemade storm window using 1X3 and clear plastic sheeting with weather seal strips around its perimeter and mounted it to the ceiling. This now prevents heat from rising into the tunnel area. Now during the winter season, with the bathroom fan running; all I get is a little bit of fog on my homemade window. When warm weather arrives, I take the window down so that I can open the skylight at will.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the inner bubble dome cracked? During the cooling season, I keep my aircondition at 74 degrees downstairs. The bathroom is most likely 2 degrees higher. I have a flat asphalt roof that absorbs a lot of heat. Do you think there is a connection? When I installed the window; do you think it caused the problem? Opinions anyone?

Old 05-23-10, 07:52 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have 6 Insula Dome acrylic skylights that are about 23 years old and 3 of them have cracks on the inside. I have to believe that the cracks are due to stress since all the cracks begin at the outer edge. I doubt if they are covered under warranty but give it a try.

Old 05-23-10, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
VELUX is pretty good with their customer service...I'd call them as well if you haven't already. They have reps in most areas that will come inspect it if required.

Since this is a home, I'd highly recommend that you replace at least the domed parts with one of their insulated LoE units if possible. I believe its the FCM line...though they show that in the commercial lines now...hmmm...odd.

I've never liked the acrylics I've dealt with...they just can't stand up to the sun that well...I do hear the polycarbonates are better at that.

Old 05-23-10, 08:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's Interesting.
The crack started the same way with mine. I"ll contact the manufacturer to see if they will replace the top assembly. This appears to be a defect in the construction of the inner dome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: