screeching pocket door

Old 05-23-10, 04:29 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
screeching pocket door

Howdee all.
I have a 10 yr 4 month old house, and I placed a pocket door in for my bathroom back when it was built.
Over the years I've tried to get some oil up on the rollers to keep it from making noise. The oiling never did really do anything, but I had to at least try.
This past week the door began screeching each time I'd go to open it, or pull it closed, and I cannot quite figure out why.
At this point I need some input.
It sounds as though the bumper they place on the inner side of the frame might be worn out. Can that cause it? And if so, does anyone know where I can get a replacement, or how to do so?
Oh, and the screeching is independent of how fast I open/close the door.
TYIA for your helps.
Best.

Old 05-23-10, 05:22 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Things to check
Does the door open and close easy?
Any marks or gouges o the door caused by a nail or screw used to hang pictures or hardware on the wall?
Is there clearence under the door?
are the wheels all on the track?
Is the hardware still secure to the top of the door? Most newer doors come with top rails made of press wood and the hardware will come loose.
Is the track straight and secure?
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-23-10, 05:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like something is off the track, not worn. The door has to be removed to see what's needed.

Old 05-23-10, 06:42 PM
S
Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
Hi, Things to check
Does the door open and close easy?
Any marks or gouges o the door caused by a nail or screw used to hang pictures or hardware on the wall?
Is there clearence under the door?
are the wheels all on the track?
Is the hardware still secure to the top of the door? Most newer doors come with top rails made of press wood and the hardware will come loose.
Is the track straight and secure?
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Hi WB,
yes, the door opens/closes easily.
No, no gouges.
Yes, there is a 1/2" to 1" clearance. I see no tile rising to the level of the door.
I pulled a small flashlight and looked up in the track region. All looks well there too. The track is secure, and I saw no loosening of it. I did notice that the bolt upon which the door is suspended looks a little flexible, but nothing that'd demonstrate a clear failure of the door's rollers.

I did get down on all fours, and check the spacer/cushion piece. It too is secure, and does not appear to be rubbing from the bottom edge of the door.
I did however notice that the spacer is rubbing on the door if the person applies more pressure on one side of the door than the other.
This appears to be the cause of the noise.
I played with the door while on my knees, moving it back and forth, deliberately holding it as close to center as possible-- ensuring that no contact occurred. It was as quiet as usual. However, when I randomly opened/closed the door and I saw it rubbing, it made the gawd-awful screech.

So, my question now becomes-- how can I resolve this? Oil isn't necessarily a good solution (it'd just ruin the paint). Wax seems reasonable, but that's short-lived, as I'd need to constantly apply it.
Is this buffer/spacer/cushion a Teflon piece, or something else?

again-- TYIA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: