Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing pre-hung door with existing plaster wall

Old 06-01-10, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I don't have a photo at the moment so I hope I can describe this well enough.

I bought a pre-hung 24-inch door for a bathroom I'm remodeling, standard 4-9/16' frame thickness. The problem is that the outside wall (hallway, which is not being remodeled) has the old plaster on perforated gypsum walls, and they ran the plaster *over* the door frame, along with metal corner(?) bead, so my 4-9/16 frame is now about 3/4" too thick.

I'd rather not have to mess with the plaster on the hallway side - that would involve cutting away the plaster and metal bead and then repairing - is there another remedy? I don't see thinner frames when I look online, but maybe I'm missing something. Do I need to cut down the frame?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-10, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is there any trim on the plaster side? You may have to cut it out in order to get the new door in the hole. You won't find any doors with thinner casing. The key will be the trim. Let us know.

Old 06-01-10, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Chandler.

No, no trim on the door - in fact, that's one of the things my wife *hates* about the house, none of the interior doors are trimmed.

So, since you're saying I won't find a door with thinner jambs it sounds like I'm going to be cutting away the plaster, correct?

Old 06-01-10, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, but rather than repair it, maybe you could install trim to finish it out. Wifey may be happy, but you may have to do the remaining doors on that floor once you get started. Sort of Catch-22

Old 06-01-10, 07:00 PM
Excellent suggestion. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-02-10, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Ummmm...it may be too late or you might not want to spend the extra $$....but you can order doors with thinner jambs. Special order at any door supplier.

I think the smallest I ever ordered for anyone was something like 3 1/4". Of course even after I had asked him numerous times if he was sure of the measurement...they were wrong...lol. I'm still not sure how he could have been off by that much....maybe he forgot about the sheetrock?

Old 06-02-10, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Gunguy, but I think I'll save the $$ and bust out the angle grinder.

Old 06-02-10, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Have the wife hold a shop vac hose near the grinder as you cut. It will catch about 75% of the dust. Grinding into plaster with a diamond blade is unbelievably dusty work. (house will be a mess unless you cordon the area off with plastic and tape all the edges)

Old 06-02-10, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I experienced that when I was cutting away the old lath and corner bead from the plaster bathroom walls. Put plastic up and ran a fan pointing out the windows, still created an incredible amount of dust.