Door Lock Help

Old 06-08-10, 07:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Lock Help

I'm replacing our door locks. When installing the screw for the new deadbolt the head broke off inside. I don't know why it broke, I don't have the muscle to tighten it that much. The door is metal with styrofoam inside. I tried a screw extractor, but it didn't work. (I think it got stuck on the metal enclosure for the assembly.) Now, the screw is inside the styrofoam and the hole where the new screw should go is too big.

Suggestion on how to fix these problems...removing the screw, fixing the hole so I can securely install my deadbolt?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-10, 03:48 PM
J
If one screw broke off, remove the other screw and the lockset should come apart. You apparently crossthreaded the screw. Once you get it apart, unscrew the broken screw and retap the threads for a new screw. Otherwise, get a new lock.

Old 06-09-10, 05:38 PM
T
I knew I wasn't explaining this very well.

I removed the lockset with no problem. But I can't get the broken screw out. It's inside styrofoam. The hole is now bigger than before, so a new screw won't hold securely.

Should I continue to attempt to remove it at the risk of making the hole even bigger?

Is there a way to plug the hole (styrofoam)?

Will it then be secure for another screw holding a lockset for a deadbolt?

How do I retap threads for styrofoam?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: