Vinyl Replacement window question Harvey

Old 06-12-10, 03:36 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Replacement window question Harvey

I purchased and am installing a Harvey Tribute window that I had mulled. It is slighly different than the single units.
First there is a flange on the bottom sandwiched between wood. It must be removed before the unit can be inserted into the existing window frame. Do I just zip it off with a dremel?
Second there is a bracket that come with screws that is attached to the top. Any idea how this is to be attached. I assume it is for center support. I am attaching pictures. Thanks for any help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-12-10, 04:13 PM
J
The pc they put on the bottom looks like "J" channel for a new construction install with vinyl siding. The window is probably 'multi-purpose', in that it can be used for new construction ( with the J installed all around ) or replacement without the J. My guess is they put it on the bottom so they could screw that pc of wood, so when the window was slid around the factory floor, the delivery truck, and the distributor, it didn't damage the bottom. Yes, cut it off, or more likely, you can remove the wood strip, then simply work the J flange out of the track and discard.

The metal strip IS used to join the two windows in the center, but generally when I order a mulled together unit, it's already screwed on...never got one loose like that, but yeah, I'd probably put it on, as the center mull is most like just an "H" type mull, and if you go to pick the unit up, it could separate in the center. Usually when I installed a mulled unit, I took the sashes out, and just installed the frame, then put the sashes back in.....made it a lot easier to work with.

Andy....former window installer.

Old 06-13-10, 03:39 PM
J
Anything that shows after installation, like the corner stiffeners, are usually for shipping or manufacturing and usually come out easily. Not sure how they mull two windows, that bracket could just be for shipping or is actually needed. There should be directions somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: