Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need Input On Comparing My Old Anderson Windows With Vinyl Replacements

Old 06-17-10, 06:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at replacing my 35 year old Anderson double-hung thermopane windows with vinyl replacements as part of larger project. My Andersons do not have any drafts in the winter and operate perfectly but the outside vinyl coating on the sashes and stiles are starting to crack and weather a bit.

Well the contractor I'm talking with about this project brought a sample ALSIDE "ULTRAMAX" vinyl replacement window sample over today.

My initial reaction was that the window Stiles and Sashes and mounting frame was dramatically widener then the Anderson windows I have and I'm not sure I like the appearance. In addition, the extra width reduces the actual glass size. Granted the sample window was a very small size window and therefore the wide stiles and sashes look very disproportionate but I'm having second thoughts about whether vinyl replacements make sense for me.

So my questions are:

1. Are all replacement windows like that?

2. Are there any manufacturers that make quality replacement windows but with a much trimmer design? Which ones?

3. Is there a way to refinish the original outside vinyl coating on my Anderson windows because other than that they are still very nice.

I would appreciate any feedback and information I can get.

Thank you

Dom

Old 06-17-10, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
In answer to your questions, yes, all vinyl windows have thick frames. You lose even more glass area when such a window is retrofit into an existing frame. Some call this a pocket replacement.

If you want a narrow frame you will probably have to stick with an Andersen window, or maybe look at some of Marvin's windows. Their wood-ultrex series is nice. Fiberglass windows will generally have thinner frames than vinyl, so you could research that. Hard to recommend just one window, it's like recommending one kind of fruit in the produce aisle.

If the Andersen permashield coating is cracking, there ain't much you can do about that. You can repair it with Stelmax, a white pvc cement that comes in a small tube like toothpaste. It sets up in about 30 seconds when exposed to air. You'll be able to see the repair but it makes it water-tight again. If you are wanting to restore the original shine, sometimes spraying a window with vandal mark remover will cause the surface of the vinyl to "melt" and solidify again once it evaporates. You don't rub it on or touch it while it's wet... just spray on and let dry. This is mostly done on a chalky vinyl surface to restore some of the original appearance. One disclaimer is that you would probably void the mfg warranty by spraying something like that on a window unless you were specifically instructed by them to do it (which they rarely do).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: