Replacing windows

Old 06-21-10, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing windows

I plan to replace 7 windows - each one is 59 X 52. They are being replaced because they are over 10 years old and are NOT energy efficient. I live in Florida so this is very important.

I am not going to ask what they should cost as they will be
customized to fit the current window size.

I would just like a "ballpark" figure for window installation.

Thank you.

Old 06-21-10, 03:23 PM
J
You don't specify what TYPE of window, but assuming you go with a decent vinyl replacement type, you shouldn't spend over $350ish/window, installed.

You will, of course, get quotes MUCH higher....and they will, of course, have the most SUPER DOOPER window on the market, when in fact, there is very little difference in vinyl replacements. Do get LowE glass, and look for a window with a "U" value in the low .30 range and then compare prices using that criteria.

Old 06-21-10, 04:26 PM
just installation cost

Andy,

I have prices for the energy efficient windows & the cost of the windows.

I have picked out the right windows so what I would like to know is what would the installation cost be on a typical replacement. These windows will be made to spec.

Sorry if I worded this incorrectly.

Old 06-21-10, 04:30 PM
J
This is a DIY website, and you are not going to be DIY.

That said, you can get the "specials" as advertised for $197 installed. DON'T buy them, they are junk. Avoid big box windows, IMHO, also junk. The vinyl windows I use are about $435 installed, includes Lo-E/argon, top of their line, 50 yr warranty on the glass seal, 20 yr on hardware. I have been doing business with them for 15-20 yrs, longer than many vinyl manufacturers have been in business.

Old 06-21-10, 05:18 PM
you are right

Just Bill,
You are correct when you say I am not installing windows (DIY).

I am dealing with 2 companies. One with the product & a different installer.

My windows are custom made windows because the size is not standard and they have been measured by a professional who assured me they will fit the original window areas.

I only want to be sure I get a reasonable price for installation.

You are so right:
There are so many ads that offer windows for a cheap price and you buy it and you will get a cheap window.

Old 06-21-10, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well...JB is a Pro and I'll defer to him. On the question of the actual labor price for install, a very good independant installer (only used 2 quality brands and would not cut corners or install junk) that I used to know in VA (4 yrs ago) told me that he would tell people that it would average $150 per window which included wrapping the trim with aluminum coil. Of course he would need to see the job to be precise in his estimate.

Odd sized windows are not really an issue with replacements unless they are extremely big, the labor is still the same. Material cost is a bit more of course.

Just to be clear...these were always vinyl replacements in a wood frame DH window.

If you are talking about a complete whole frame replacement, then there is no way anyone can give an accurate figure, since every job is different.

Old 06-21-10, 06:06 PM
the best answer was: Gungguy45

Gungguy45,

I appreciate your concise answer and know what I will do.

This install is with highly rated windows - I looked at Anderson and Pell. I didn't select the cheapest product offered.

I contacted a vendor I know to do the installation as he has worked for me in the past installing doors. I just wanted a "ballpark" figure for a window so I would know what was a reasonable price.

Sometimes vendors greatly increase their prices when you have used them in the past and they think you will pay anything they quote. Not nice but that is how it is.

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Old 06-21-10, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well..TY...
Mine may not have been the best...but I'm glad it helped.

If you want to know what should be done for a quality install..I'm sure one of the Pro's wouled be much better equipped to answer.

So..are these inserts..or whole frame replacements?

Old 06-21-10, 06:25 PM
Gunguy45 - name correction

Gunguy45,

Sorry for the name error. Your answer was the BEST!

I hope after the install I don't have to bother anyone else.

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-10, 04:32 PM
J
Are we talking about replacement windows, as in the existing window frames stay in place, or replacing windows, as in everything gets replaced??? Big difference. I like Andersen for new construction windows(everything gets replaced). I can never recommend Pella, to many rotted windows in the past that they would not honor.

Vinyl replacements windows are considerably less expensive, because the old frame is not being removed(less labor). But cheap vinyl windows are like throwing money the that hole they replace. I often get customers that ask about big box store windows, I tell them to find another installer. If they have problems, I do not want my name associated.

Old 06-23-10, 08:20 AM
about vinyl in Florida

The existing window frames stay in place and they will be vinyl, but not cheap vinyl. I just want a "ballpark" figure for installation of the windows because of the following:

Last week I had an energy efficient Anderson door installed on my patio (where all the windows are to be installed).

The sliding door with grids & argon was about $1000 which I selected and paid for.

The vendor charged an additional $500 to install it. It did take 5 1/2 hours for them to complete the job. He did a great job but I now wonder about the cost of installation.

I did NOT require a quote on installation as I have used this same company for years. Time to consider change?

Old 06-23-10, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
$500 for a properly installed patio door is very reasonable. Big Box stores charge around $450 or so now, I believe, and there are almost always extra costs added on. And very often the quality of work leaves something to be desired....

A French door would probably have been more to install as they are much less tolerant of any plumb and square issues.

Was it a Narrowline or a Permashield slider? Just curious...

Either way, a good choice by going with Andersen...I'm sure you will be very happy with it for years to come.

Old 06-23-10, 09:29 AM
anderson company

Gunguy45,

I have the label from the door. It says American Craftsman-an Anderson Company. It is Model 5800 -

The most important things to me were a good company & energy efficiency. The door is dual glazed LOE3 with argon filled grids. u factor .28 and shgc .23.

I ordered the door from Home Depot but had it installed by my vendor.

Old 06-23-10, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ouch...well...sorry to tell you thats not a real Andersen door. Silverline (who makes doors and windows under the American Craftsman label for HD) was purchased by Andersen about 4-5 yrs ago. They did it to get into the lucrative all vinyl new construction and replacement window market. Also, since both Andersen and A/C were already being distributed by HD in Eastern markets they didn't have to change distribution centers or anything.

I'm not familiar with the 5800 series as it wasn't sold as an A/C product when I was in the field. I'm sure it's an upgrade over their standard doors that I know about.

Things to watch out for......
Does it have a vinyl threshold to cover the outer track area in front of the operating panel? If so, these are prone to warping in heat or sun. Why they switched from aluminum, I'll never know.

I see it says it has a multipoint lock so that may not be an issue. The standard door had a real problem with the reachout mechanism. A cheap spring in it would invariable break w/in a year with average use. I kept a box under my desk at work for warranty replacement parts.

Keep the track area for the moving panel clean, the rollers (I'm sure they use the same as standard) are prone to pitting and wear from grit and dirt. No lube or spray on the track..just keep it clean.

Keep your paperwork...A/C used to warranty everything for life. I would say keep any labels that were on the packaging or door itself, but I'm sure they are long gone or covered up. That was the best way to ID the exact parts needed for your unit. Please do that for the windows when you get them (hope those aren't going to be American Craftsman as well?).

Now..please don't think I'm saying the door will fall apart, thats not what I mean. It's not a bad door...there are much worse out there being sold for the same price. I just think real Andersen products (such as the two I mentioned previously) are much better for not that much more in price.

I'm sure it's a big improvement over what you had, or you wouldn't have replaced it...

None of this affects the install cost...matter of fact, a real Andersen door would prob have cost a bit more, since it has to be assembled on-site.

Old 06-23-10, 10:50 AM
only time will tell

gunguy45,

The 5800 was the best window they had. I do have the packaging label I took off the door. I didn't want Pell as I had previously had their windows installed and either they are horrible windows or the installers were very bad. They don't open/close correctly. My DOOR, on the other hand, is great.

It does have the vinyl threshold which looks like it could be replaced if it did warp. Direct sun does not hit it but HEAT is here now and it will get hotter.

The locks are the best I've ever used - but I don't lock many patio doors to make comparisons.

Today I do think I would buy this product again. Only time will tell.

I do appreciate all of the information you have provided. Windows will be next & the buyer will beware.

Old 06-23-10, 11:11 AM
J
Originally Posted by TTASHA View Post
The existing window frames stay in place and they will be vinyl, but not cheap vinyl. I just want a "ballpark" figure for installation of the windows because of the following:

I retired from installing vinyl replacement windows couple years ago, and was charging $70/window to do them ( virtually any size unless it was a bay/bow or really ridiculous large window ).

That included me doing the measurement, ( in fact, I INSISTED on doing the measurement or any resulting problems are YOUR problem ), supplying insulation, caulk, trim coil to wrap the wood frames outside and haul off of old windows....everything but the window, and I would pick it up from where-ever you ordered them.

The "big box" stores do the same thing for $100/window...I subcontracted from Home Depot for a VERY short time until I decided they knew nothing about installed sales, every install was a problem, and got the heck away from them.

Gungguy is right, also, that isn't a real Andersen door.....however, that doesn't make it a bad door.....because everything Andersen makes isn't THAT great, quite frankly. I have a Frenchwood door ( their top end slider ) that the seal failed on one panel in 3 years, and the other, the vinyl began to peel away from the wood core on the outside in 5 years. In both cases, they made good by supplying new panels, (10 year warranty ) but neither should have failed in that short time......not for a 2,000 buck door.

Old 06-23-10, 11:31 AM
About Big Box stores

JustAndy,
I complained about my Pell windows because they don't close/open easily. I am certain that is due to the installation of the Lowe's experts.

My door was purchased at Home Depot & installed by an independant vendor and the job is excellent.

I buy from Big Box stores as they at least provide the product that is ordered and don't require a huge payment until the product arrives. Some guys take money & run.

I see ads in the paper for $199 for windows & it includes installation, taxes, shipping & the WINDOW, too. Those companies can't afford to give anyone a quality product or take the time to do it right.

Old 06-23-10, 02:37 PM
J
You are correct about the 199 windows.....actually, I sort of doubt anyone ever gets them for 199....my guess is that's a "get us in the door" price, then they try to "up"grade you to a "better" window. I DO know they charge extra for everything...."premium" caulk is extra, wrapping the wood outside ( which is the most common case in our area, almost no stucco exteriors here ) is extra, yada, yada, yada. I imagine they nickel and dime you to death until the per window price is up around 350-400 installed.

The big box stores are OK I guess, I like being able to go see things on the shelf and carry them out. I've found anything special ordered to usually be a mess, though....the problem with most big box employees is they don't know their products....I always told folks if you order your windows there, MAKE SURE of two things:

1. You give them my measurements the way I wrote them down....width on a window is always the first measurement and height the second in the window biz...I'd hate to tell you how many they order reversed.....you'll see them out at the big box stores on a pallet or cart with "DISCOUNT" written on them......ahahahaaa.

2. Tell them EXACT MEASUREMENTS, not "opening size"....if you give them OS, they will cut the replacement size down anywhere from 1/2" or more. I measured mine to go back in to the nearest 1/8" if possible ( assuming the old frame was square ), so there was only a caulk line around the new window/frame.

I bought two pallets of American Craftsman window that were undersized about an inch from the size that would fit a standard wood, 36x54 window. I used them new construction in some rental houses I built.....really good deal, bought both pallets for $75/window, LowE glass and the works.....normally about a $175 window. And they work fine in new construction as long as you build the hole to fit the window !

Old 06-23-10, 04:25 PM
energy star makes me MAD

JustAndy,
I have a friend in our office that says he bought his windows 2 years ago for $199 each including WINDOWS, taxes, installation etc., he told me they are energy efficient and HE IS HAPPY WITH THE WINDOWS. Yes, this is the total he paid per window. He has a home with a lot of shade but he still lives in Florida.

He will bring the label to me tomorrow. I almost believe that he didn't get real energy efficient windows for Florida.

Energy Star does NOT do the ratings for doors, windows, skylights - thank God.

NFRC does the ratings & energy star puts it on their label. NFRC should be the ONLY VALID rating for doors, windows and skylights.

I have documentation on the internet about Energy Star that will shock you unless you already know about it.

Andy, thank you for your comments

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: