Replacing bifold closet doors

Old 06-29-10, 12:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing bifold closet doors

Hello everyone! I am trying to replace several bifold closet doors in my house. I just really don't like that style of door and would like to use a prehung door or something like that. The problem is my rough opening height is only 81.5 inches. The prehung doors call for a 82 inch height rough opening.

Also one of the closets' side wall bump up against an exterior wall. Obviously this wouldn't work with the trim around a prehung door. What would be the best way to tackle this? Open up the wall on the opposite side and relocate the stud further away and then make a new stud for the other side?

Any help, suggestions, or better ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Old 06-30-10, 03:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prehung interior doors and frames can easily be cut to fit, even raised panel doors. But you will need to remove old trim and jambs and start from scratch. Before you do that, remove the trim inside the closet and make sure what your rough opening is. The get the new door 1 1/2-2" less. Don't worry about the height, as I said earlier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: