Exterior door install in cement...

Old 08-18-10, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior door install in cement...

I am cutting an opening in a cement wall to install a door to the outside and I have a quick question.

I know the "normally accepted" method is to cut an opening big enough to accept 2 x 6 boards around the opening and then screw the door into the boards. My problem is I want to leave as much cement on the wall as possible as to keep as much of the walls integrity as I can.

Any thoughts on just cutting the opening .5 inch bigger than the door and shimming the door directly to the cement opening and just spray foaming?

Old 08-18-10, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What will hold the door plumb and square? Not spray foam. How big a wall do you have? Surely the additional 2" in width and height won't jeopardize the integrity of your wall! If so, you don't need a door there.

Old 08-18-10, 03:58 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't forget to put a lintel in above the opening after you make it.

Old 08-19-10, 09:16 AM
C
Was wondering if you could shim it and tapcon the door through the shims and into the cement?

Definitely will use a lintel, this door is very close to a window as well. So I am going to install a lintel right across the new door and the existing window. I am thinking about 1/2 inch angle iron sitting on top of the cement and tapconed into the wall.

Old 08-19-10, 04:00 PM
Next set of questions. What will you attach your molding to? Not only to the door frame. You could probably tapcon it into the concrete block, but the first word that comes to mind is "ugly". I know you have your reasons for the unconventional install. We just don't know.

Old 08-20-10, 05:47 AM
O
Mud wood blocks into the 1/2 block voids that you have (every other block.)
Plumb the wood blocks just barely inside the masonary opening. This will give you a flat shimming surface and good fastening points.

Old 08-20-10, 07:11 AM
C
Nice point Chandler... never thought about trimming it.

My wall is poured cement, so mudding in wood would not work - but is an awesome solution for block walls.

Maybe I will just frame the opening with 1 X 8 lumber instead. That will at least save me an inch and a half....

Old 08-20-10, 04:28 PM
Yup, and you could always go with a smaller door, too, but I think your idea of smaller trim is OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: