3.5 Inch Latch?

Old 08-19-10, 11:25 AM
3.5 Inch Latch?

I recently purchased a door that was return via a custom order...it was a great deal on a fancy door. I modified the destination jam to accept the door, got it closing all nice etc.

At this point I was going to be the door knobs on, and call it a day, so just went and picked up some not so fancy ones @ home depot. Got home, noticed that the latch only goes between 2 3/8'' - 2 3/4''. However, this door *appears* to have been meant for a patio type installation, and the latch (I think I am using the right terms, the little metal insert that appears in the door hole, connecting to the door knobs, allowing the other little piece to go into the strike plate) from my measurements needs to be 3.5 ''. I have not been able at local home improvement stores to locate this. Does it exist?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am certain that the proper latch exists. Start with the door manufacturer. Since it is a new door, the brand name should be on the door, the packaging, or your receipt. You can then contact them for more info. Also, there are many Internet sites which sell latches and one or more should have what you need. You could check with local locksmith shops, as many do work on door latches and may well have your solution.

Old 08-19-10, 03:05 PM
Door Latch

The distance from the edge of the door to the center of the knob is called the backset.

Old 08-20-10, 05:29 PM
Hi.I went and measured a door knob and it was about 3 1/2 inches from the side of the door to the edge of the hole. Maybe you measured wrong. Backset is measured from the edge of the door to the center of the hole.
Good Luck Woodbutcher