Header construction

Old 12-11-00, 03:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Finishig basement - about ready to drywall.

Last spring I installed a 48tx60"w sliding window, in an exterior basement wall (2x6 thickness), using a header installed by home builder (home 1 yr old). The header is just under 7 feet wide, constructed using a 2x10 on one side of the 2x6 wall, 3 spacer blocks (as far as I can tell) and another 2x10. I have installed 3 supporting studs at each end of the header.

I notice a slight gap at each end of the header, where the top of the 2x10's meet the upper plate, and a slight gap at the center of the header, at the bottom of the 2x10.

Obviously, the house is adjusting a little, being new, and the wood will shrink a little, with the dry air.

Are these gaps indicators that the header should be beefed up a little, or is that normal header construction, and a little movement is normal?????

I was debating whether to furr out the wall with 2x4 turned sideways (2"out, 4" along wall). I have an extra 2x12 which I could lag into current header, and support with a 2 or 3 - 2x4's each side, before I drywall.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-00, 04:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Wood construction is an imperfect way of building, unfortunately. The gaps in your header could be caused by variations in the size of the lumber, cuts that are not exactly squared or slight shrinkage. In any case, the header size on your opening should be sufficient and the gaps you refer to are normal.

Hammer

Old 12-11-00, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your header is fine. I would go to your lumber yard and get a pack of OAK shims. Tap them in the notch and cut off the rest. Start sheetrocking. Good Luck