Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

interior door handle not hitting strike plate

Old 09-25-10, 08:27 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have two side by side doors in the kitchen. One leading into a bedroom and the other leading into a small den. The den door is not closing. Several months ago we had the same problem. My husband moved the strike plate forward a bit and place a cardboard shim under one of the hinges and it worked, until last night. (the bedroom door next to it works fine. Our house is on a slab, so I don't believe it is a settling issue).

The mechanism that locks into the strike plate is hitting way below the hole. So that means the outer edge of the door has fallen? After several attempts to add more shim material, and recessing the top hinge into the door casing, we have made do progress in fixing the problem. I don't think we should have to be removing wood out of either the hinge or strike-plate to have the door hang properly. ?? There has been no stress to the door other than opening and closing it maybe once a day. Help please.

Old 09-25-10, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Check your gaps around the door (between door and frame) when door is closed and not latched. It should be even...same as your working door. It's possible the frame itself has moved away, so moving the door just pulls the frame further away. The best fix is to install 3" screws through the top hinge into the actual wall framing. Use the hole nearest the center of the frame...you'll be more likely to hit the "meat" of the stud.

Old 09-25-10, 01:27 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. We'll give that a try. Enjoy your weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: