Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

3m Insullating Windows with Blinds Installed Inside Window Frame

Old 12-13-10, 08:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

As the topic is described. What is my best option?

I'm not certain of the proper terminology, but my window isn't exactly a bay window, but I do have my blinds installed INSIDE the opening before the window. I still want access to opening and shutting these blinds.

If I were to cover the window with the 3M window insulation, how feasible is it to cut a small slit at the top and feed the cords to come to the outside of the insulation, and then reinforce the slit with tape so as not to tear.

These windows are quite leaky, so I figured that covering them and then just one small slit for the cords shouldn't counteract the project? I'd still be better off than no insulation, right? Just looking for feedback and any other suggestions and if anybody has that "Ah-Hah!" solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
A bay window has three windows next to each other and angled, kind of like this:
__
/ \ , so not quite sure what you mean by it isn't exactly a bay window.
Anyway, even if you taped up the slit, the continued rubbing of the cord will keep ripping it open again, probably to the point where it's un-tapeable.
Do you have any curtains there? If not, you might want to either hang some on rings so you can open and close them and leave the blinds open. You could mount an outside roller shade, but won't look as nice.

Old 12-13-10, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
I think you're looking at all or none - either cover the windows blinds or leave them alone

Even taped, I think your hole is going to continue to enlarge

Old 12-13-10, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think we may be talking apples and pears here. OP said the blinds were inside the opening "before" the windows, so I picture functional blinds on the outside of the panes, not internal blinds.
Robwein83, am I close on this? If so, why would there be a need to cut a slit in the 3M product? I am likewise assuming you are talking about tinting the glass. Exactly what 3M product are you going to use here? Hopefully not an interior plastic cover. You would be creating a storm window in reverse and the condensation would begin to ruin everything.

Old 12-13-10, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
I'm getting a different picture - I'm seeing an internal mount blind, meaning mounted to the inside of the window frame as opposed to mounted to the wall. Since the plastic mounts to the outside of the trim, this would enclose the blinds inside the plastic.

Actually, now that I reread your post, Chandler, I think the issue is the product - I'm envisioning their plastic window insultating kit plastic here, as opposed to window tinting film.

Old 12-13-10, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
What I'm reading is blinds inside mounted, rather than outside mounted and the clear 3M insulated plastic that gets taped around the window to keep out the cold.
OP, please tell us who's right (and I'm sure that would be me! LOL!

Old 12-13-10, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
What I'm reading is blinds inside mounted, rather than outside mounted and the clear 3M insulated plastic that gets taped around the window to keep out the cold.
OP, please tell us who's right (and I'm sure that would be me! LOL!
Yes, this is correct. I have a wall opening and then the window that sits deeper than the wall. So, my blinds are installed inside the window "cove".

I've done it and it seems to work quite well....

I installed the plastic across the window. Then, I took some packaging tape to make a small enclosed box to where I would cut to feed the cord through; taped before the cut so that the plastic would not tear. I then cut the plastic inside the box, fed the cord through the opening and then re-taped around the area to further reinforce and close off any excess open space.