Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to replace a mail slot with a larger door for package delivery?

Old 12-14-10, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Mail slots all seem to be abot 3" wide. Is there some sort larger opening door or drop box type thing that could be installed on the front door to accept packages?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's difficult to know where to stop. Packages are in all shapes and sizes, so exactly how big is "big"? I built a box to go under my carport so USPS, UPS and FedEx could safely leave packages and not be bothered with weather. I thought it was of an appropriate size. The first package delivered was, of course, too big for the box, so big wasn't big anymore.
I don't think I'd want a hole that big in my door anyway. Critters love to explore and they will surely find your new 'possum door quickly.

Old 12-15-10, 11:27 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you want to use it for more then just the Post Office you will need two to comply with federal law. UPS, Fedex etc can't by law use a mail box for delivery. I suspect that extends to mail slots but I'm not sure.

Old 12-15-10, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you feel this a must have convenience, you might search pet doors to see if you could find one that would be adaptable to your door and sized for your needs. I think it is a bad idea, however. At a front door where anyone can walkup to it, an in-door mail slot or package box is an invitation for vandalism. Kids or someone angry w/ you could pull a prank by siphoning gas through the slot in your doorway, and then lighting it on fire . . . this happened years ago at a home in the local community and reported by a local newspaper. Hadn’t really crossed my mind before, but I filed that away as something I would not do.

A better and more secure arrangement would be to buy a separate locking package box that could be installed outdoors, and possibly near your door. If you do a search, there are many types of these locking package boxes for sale, and some are included w/ a mailbox and pedestal.