NEw Front Door

Old 12-18-10, 04:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NEw Front Door

I recently purchased a new front door (double) at Lowe's.The door manufacturer is Jeld-Wen. It has an activte door and a "fixed" or inactive door. The active opens and closed for normal daily access. The fixed door is not used for normal daily access, but has latches so that door can be opened on an as-needed basis. It was installed by a 3rd party contractor. The small gaps appear between the door surface and the seals where the active and fixed door seal.(Photos are available for posting or email upon request). The door has small gaps where daylight comes thru at the top corner of the active door for approx 2 inches where the door meets the seal and approx 1 inch where the door meets the seal between th eactive and fixed door. The door also has gaps at the bottom on the fixed door where the center jam is fastened to the fixed door. A Jeld-Wen represenative evaluated the problem and indicated that he has seen this problem before. However, Jeld-Wen will not fix problem. Lowe's has been involved with no solution.
I would appreciate it if someone could advise me as to additional action can take to get resolution from Jeld-Wen and or Lowe's.
Also, any recommnedations for soultions i can implement to fix the problem myself. Please repsond to post , or email or call 215-518-6293.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-10, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Please do post pictures so we can see what you see. You can post pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post, using the "insert image" clickable thingy you see above in the header.

Old 12-19-10, 02:28 AM
I upload the wrong photo. An attempt to delete photo but the window keeps running "LOADING". Who can i contact from http://s1085.photobucket.com/upload/albums/ to learn how to delete a photo?

Old 12-19-10, 05:57 AM
Whast did the Jeld Wen rep have to say about the cause of the problem? I'm sure their response was more than "he's seen this problem before". Do they consider it an installation or a manufacturing problem?

If the contractor screwed up the install the door company isn't going to help. What did the installer say when you pointed out the gaps?

It is going to be difficult to offer an advice without being able to see the problem.

Photobucket has a help link at the bottom of the page. You can find instructions for using the site there. There is also a contact link.

Old 12-19-10, 04:00 PM
If at the outside corners, there are usually small foam wedges that get placed at the corners to block small gaps in the compression seal. They may also be needed at the center astragal for a double door. Easy to install. But as suggested, your complaint is with the installer first, then HD. The manufacturer won't help.

Old 12-22-10, 03:35 PM
The MFR rep suggested it was a manufacturing problem. The doors are asemblied into the frame. That item is installed into the hose frame work.
The center astragal for the double door is not fitted correctly.
i will look at Photobucket has a help link at the bottom of the page.

Old 12-26-10, 03:30 PM
Front door photos posted

Pictures by jjwwinc - Photobucket

Last edited by jgombar; 12-26-10 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Front door photos posted
Old 12-26-10, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=jgombar;1802290]I recently purchased a new front door (double) at Lowe's.The door manufacturer is Jeld-Wen. It has an activte door and a "fixed" or inactive door. The active opens and closed for normal daily access. The fixed door is not used for normal daily access, but has latches so that door can be opened on an as-needed basis. It was installed by a 3rd party contractor. The small gaps appear between the door surface and the seals where the active and fixed door seal.(Photos are available for posting or email upon request). The door has small gaps where daylight comes thru at the top corner of the active door for approx 2 inches where the door meets the seal and approx 1 inch where the door meets the seal between th eactive and fixed door. The door also has gaps at the bottom on the fixed door where the center jam is fastened to the fixed door. A Jeld-Wen represenative evaluated the problem and indicated that he has seen this problem before. However, Jeld-Wen will not fix problem. Lowe's has been involved with no solution.
I would appreciate it if someone could advise me as to additional action can take to get resolution from Jeld-Wen and or Lowe's.
Also, any recommnedations for soultions i can implement to fix the problem myself. Please repsond to post , or email

Old 12-26-10, 03:39 PM
Front Door Photos posted

Last edited by jgombar; 12-26-10 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Photos posted
Old 01-15-11, 12:11 PM
photos posted. please review and respond.

Old 01-15-11, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Step back, turn your flash on an let us see the door. Seeing an ill fitting microcosm of the door doesn't give us a very good overall picture. Did you contact the installer? What is his position?