Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Have to hold button to shut garage door -why?

Old 12-19-10, 08:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 1/2 HP Liftmaster chain drive garage door opener. For the past week, I have had to hold the open button in the garage, or the enter button on the outside keypad to close the door all the way. If I just press the button, the garage will close a couple inches and then open back up, with the lights on the unit blinking. All buttons, including the remotes open it without issue. Any idea what could be causing this?

Old 12-19-10, 08:54 PM
It sounds like the lasers and electonic eye at the bottom of the garage door are not lined up. Open the garage door, (it might be a little easier when it is dark outside) At the base of the garage door rails you should see a box with a lens pointing in the direction of the other garage rail. If you get down on your hands and knees you should just be able to see a beam of light coming out of the lens. These lenses have to shine light into each other. You might find that one of the boxes has been moved and has to be realigned.
Good Luck

Old 12-21-10, 03:47 PM
J
NEVER look into a laser, visible or not. There will be a light(LED) on each sensor(one transmitter-one receiver). The transmitter will be on steady, the receiver will be on if the beam is problerly aimed and nothing breaks the beam.. When something breaks the beam, a kid, a tool or something, the light on the receiver will go out and the door will not close without holding the down button. Realign the sensors, or replace the bad one. Check wiring, often something will pull a wire loose or break it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: