Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

"Hanging" weight limitations on the outside of pocket doors?

Old 01-08-11, 11:54 AM

I have a (single) pocket door to a bathroom. The interior framing consists of two vertical wood split wood studs framed in metal. No horizontal support.

I'm trying to figure out if I could hang a medicine cabinet (~ 37 lbs) or a towel bar on the outside of the pocket door.
Of course there is also the issue of limited space of any hanger hardware such as EZ Anchor. Also, I'm somewhat concerned as I can push with my hand the the pocket door wall...

Any experiences and advice is welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a Johnson set up. I prefer the prefabbed solid wood frames. Set them in place and move on. You will be restricted by the size of fastener you can get into the Johnson vertical member, since it will hit the metal on the inside. You can use the EZ Anchor, but be careful of it's overall length, as you don't want it hitting the side of the door as it passes the location.

Old 01-08-11, 01:27 PM
The 37 lbs medicine cabinet has two metal hooks that don't align with the split studs. So, I would need to use drywall anchors. I wouldn't be worried about using a good drywall anchor in any other applications. I'm hoping the anchor would perform OK between the split studs....

Old 01-08-11, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
I'd probably put a piece of 3/4" plywood two foot wide floor to ceiling and fasten the cabinet to that. Not having seen your bathroom I can't say how I would "blend in" the plywood so it would look like an architectural statement but one idea would be ceramic tile with mud cap on the edges. The more creative you get with the tile design the less it will look like something to hang the cabinet on.