Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing T1-11 siding around windows with J-mould

Old 01-19-11, 06:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Weekend warrior with questions for some of you pros. I'm doing a new sunroom with new windows. The instructions with the Pella windows say to remove the J-mould when installing wood siding to provide room for a backer rod and caulk. I read in one of the archives here though that the T1-11 would slide right under the J-mould and create a nice dry fit. That's what I'm using for siding. Any opinions on that?

Second question is regarding a drip cap over the window. I assume that would go in prior to the siding, in which case the T1-11 above the window would not slide in under the J-mould. Wouldn't I have to cut the drip cap short on the sides if I slide the T1-11 under the J-mould on the sides?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-19-11, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I've never run T1-11 under jchannel, but that's not to say it can't be done. As far as a drip on top, you should use preformed metal flashing that extends beyond your window frame to prevent water from hitting it and running back in. Your house should be wrapped and the wrap turned in the window and door openings, and the nailing fin area on the window and the wall should receive a sticky sealant tape, bottom, sides and top. Cut your T1-11 for a tight fit on all sides and caulk. If you like the look, you can add 1x3 box trim around the window to dress up any boogers on the T1-11. Caulk the siding before adding the trim, then caulk the trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: