Window Replacement Cost

Old 01-30-11, 06:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Replacement Cost

Hi:

Was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a typical window replacement job costs for a house. I know there are many factors that go into it, including the number of windows, quality, etc., but here's what I'm looking for a ballbark estimate for:

We have a two-story colonial with 16 double-hung windows that are 24 years old. We're considering replacing these with something that would be more energy efficient and easier to clean, with full window screens if possible. Are we looking at $1,000 per window including installation (just guessing, really no idea)? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-11, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Replacement windows are not labor intensive, so you will have a savings right there. Average R&R will take less than an hour, each. Shop around at better window outlets (ie. andersen, pella, jeld wen, etc.) to see what is out there. Ask questions pertaining to your requirements. Look at the construction of the windows, their tightness in the frame, etc. You don't want to have the best glazing in town with a leaky joint where they meet. Determine if you want double or single hung, or even casement windows. Casements will have full screens on the inside, and let in a football field more ventilation if you desire that.
$1k per window??? Probably around $500 each would work adequately. Get some estimates....at least 3 and see where they stand. Again, replacement windows aren't rocket science, so use that as leverage on the quotes.
My first ones many years (many) ago, I really over estimated, the customer accepted, and I did the install. 30 minutes each. I couldn't justify the labor I quoted, so I had to drop it down quite a bit when I invoiced them. Customer for life, along with the referrals. I know now, so I quote right on the money. Your location will determine the labor cost.

Old 01-30-11, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just to add...
You need to be clear in what you mean by "replacement windows". Will they be inserts that just take the place of the sashes...or were you wanting a complete ripout down to the studs and new windows installed.

Old 01-30-11, 01:20 PM
T
Thanks very much to you both for the input and advice. This gives me a much better idea of what to consider and ask about, as well as a rough idea about cost, all of which I was looking for. I'm located in central Maryland; we're not far from Baltimore and D.C., where the labor costs are probably higher, but there's also a lot of competition (we even get contractors from PA and WV coming here competing for work). So I'll check all of this out. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-11, 03:31 PM
D
I paid about $18k for 17 windows and one door installed. They were Marvin double hung replacements, full screen, simulated divided lights, wood inside with extruded aluminum cladding on the outside. Each window was roughly $750, I think. Pella and Andersen quoted around $27k. This was 2 years ago. I found the Marvins to be much nicer.

Old 01-31-11, 05:02 AM
T
Thanks for the info; I was originally thinking of budgeting about $16K for this project, which would be in line with what you paid (although you also had the door). If it costs less, that would be an extra bonus; seems like there are a lot of deals out there right now. Those sound like really nice windows. Appreciate the input.

Old 02-03-11, 01:03 PM
G
We replaced 13 double hung windows last year. The initial quote included several casement windows as well as wrapping all the exposed wood for $24,000. We eliminated the casements, and wrapping of exterior trim, and got it down to about $11,000 (after a lot of bargaining).

I ended up doing them all myself for under $3,500 - took me a couple of weekends. Our installation was complicated a little by the need to rip about 1/4" from the interior trim, due to a mismatch between the new and old windows.

Last edited by gdgarth; 02-03-11 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typing
Old 02-22-11, 08:32 AM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
In my area I'm only paying about $160.00 or less per windows that on average are 3' X 5' There energy star rated, double hung, UV and argon, half screens (I hate full screen there really hard to get out) With 6 over 6 grids.
My guys can install 16 windows in under 1/2 a day with just two guys with nothing more than a flat bar, hammer and a caulking gun. Any DIY should be able to install there own replacement windows in under 1/2 hour after they figure out how to do the first one.
I'm not sure where these companys are getting there way to high prices.
To the posted that bought the clad windows keep an eye on the bottom sashes.
Every year we replace a lot of clad windows because the sashes have rotted out. Most have been Andersons. What we keep finding is the wood was never sealed before the clading went on so the water gets in behind it.
We can also wrap any standard sized window for $75.00 each in under an hour.
I buy all my windows from companys that also sell siding, I'd never ever buy one from one with a nice big showroom, guess who's paying for that and there nation advertizing.
I use Winco and Simonton windows and have never once had a call back for anything. And when I get them there always made to the exact size I ordered them. Unlike Anderson that several times sent them 3/4" bigger then I ordered them.

Old 02-22-11, 09:34 AM
D
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm not sure where these companys are getting there way to high prices.
The windows I got were not vinyl. They are wood interior and clad on the exterior. Insulated low E, not sure if they have the argon. Double hung, simulated divided glass with full screens. These are easy to take out.