Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

can a brick window sill be removed in 1 piece?

Old 02-11-11, 09:14 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are considering cutouts to make some of our windows larger (vertically; not changing width). We have a brick bungalow with brick exterior window sills (cement brick and no color match for it available in the city). Is it possible to cut the entire sill out and re-use it?

Old 02-12-11, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
So you are making the window openings taller? You can't go up, so you must go down. If the sill is made of the same brick as the house, you may be able to break them out one at a time and reinstall the entire row when you are finished. You won't be able to remove it as a unit. Take your time and don't go at it with a big hammer or you won't have anything to put back in for a window sill. You said "cement brick". Could you post a couple of pictures so we can see what you see? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 02-12-11, 11:59 AM
I
Thank you for responding. Here is the photo.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 02-12-11 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed image, click to enlarge
Old 02-12-11, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
A brickmason could probably cut and remove that easily and reuse bricks to fill in. You might be able to do it as well, with assistance from the Pro's here.

Old 02-12-11, 12:52 PM
I
So, it would have to be re-built (if all bricks are salvaged). A mason would cost a lot. How complicated would that be for an amateur?

Old 02-12-11, 02:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not complicated. Tedious, but doable. First I would cut the mortar with a grinder as deep as possible. I think you will find these brick will remove fairly easily. As an ace in the hole, do the same to the brick below the sill. Remove them carefully in case you break one of the others, you will have a plan B.

Old 02-14-11, 01:43 PM
I
Thank you all for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: