Where to put knob(s) on this bi-fold door???

Old 02-22-11, 08:24 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to put knob(s) on this bi-fold door???

I have a glass bi-fold door (very similar to the one pictured) that separates a staircase from a room. The door needs to be able to open and close easily from both sides.

Where on Earth do I put the knobs? I can't put a knob in the middle of a panel because of the glass. It seems like no matter where I put knob(s) there will be a problem with either opening or closing from one or both sides, or a knob will get crunched between the panels when the door is opened.

HELP!!!

Old 02-22-11, 08:27 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What kind of knob are you trying to put on that can't go in the middle like in the picture?

Old 02-22-11, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Put the knob as it shows in the picture. This one will be for pulling toward you for opening. On the other side you would put to the far left if standing on the other side of the door. That would be my opinion. The handle will not get crushed when open.

Mike NJ

Old 02-22-11, 08:37 AM
M
Originally Posted by beekrock
I have a glass bi-fold door (very similar to the one pictured) that separates a staircase from a room. The door needs to be able to open and close easily from both sides.

Where on Earth do I put the knobs? I can't put a knob in the middle of a panel because of the glass. It seems like no matter where I put knob(s) there will be a problem with either opening or closing from one or both sides, or a knob will get crunched between the panels when the door is opened.

HELP!!!

Knob goes on the panel closest to the opening. The mechanical advantage is slightly better if the knob were on the other panel but is basically unnoticeable. Hence, either panel is really ok. If I had a panel instead I would still put the knob in the same place...better mech advantage.

I think you'll really be able to only open from one side which is probably ok. We used to use these for bedroom doors in crowded spaces and never realized any inconvenience.

Old 02-22-11, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've never seen knobs on the folding/collapsing side. A gentle push in the center starts it opening, then you grab the edge and fold it over. Course you will need to clean fingerprints off.

You could always use an inset or folding pull... or something like this that mounts on the edge of the door...EPCO #DP-406-2A FOLDING DOOR PULL, ANODIZED ALUMINUM on eBay!

Old 02-22-11, 10:42 AM
It's just my opinion, but the knob is correct in the picture. You don't need a knob on the push side, just push between the door folds.

Old 02-22-11, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
my post disappeared oh well, let me try again

I've painted 100s of bifold doors and have never seen a knob on the back side of one.
The knob placement in the pic is correct.

Old 02-22-11, 01:05 PM
B
Thanks for the help/suggestions, everyone!

The general concensus seems to be that a knob isn't really necessary on the one side, as it's easy enough to push open. My only question, though, is how do you close the door from that side if there's no knob? Most bi-folds are closet doors, so there's never a need to open and close them from the inside, but this door needs to.

Old 02-22-11, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
The edge pull might be a good option for that... or something similar. If the wings are small enough it would never contact the glass when folded. Could probably just make something out of an angle bracket and paint as desired.

Old 02-22-11, 02:50 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Or perhaps put on a flush ring pull handle.
National Mfg 203752 Zinc Flush Ring Pull, Visual Pack 177

Old 02-22-11, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Thats a good idea badeyeben. They make them in many finishes. The poster may like them. I guess you would need to drill a small hole in the door.

antiqe flush ring pull handle - Google Search

Mike NJ

Old 02-22-11, 06:08 PM
B
Originally Posted by badeyeben
Or perhaps put on a flush ring pull handle.
National Mfg 203752 Zinc Flush Ring Pull, Visual Pack 177
Geniuses! Geniuses, I tell you! DoItYourself.com comes through again!!! That pullring is THE solution!

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-23-11, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well jeez, I said that back in post 5....lol.
You realize you'll have to rout or chisel the space for it to be inset? Not difficult...just gotta be precise.
Hope it works out.

Old 11-14-13, 04:59 AM
D
This is years later, but for anyone looking for info on this subject, I will add to this thread that there are pulls that are two-sided, made for bifold doors that need to be opened from both sides. I have them in my house. Don't know where the prior owner got them. There is a 2-sided screw. One pull handle screws onto the door on one side, and one pull handle screws onto the door on the same screw on the other side. The pulls don't stick out much. One set is flush, with a hanging round pull. The other set on other doors I have are fixed pulls that don't stick out much from the door, and are 3" centers, like cabinet pulls. So there are 2 screws for each handle/pull for that one. I have no idea if they were bought that way, or if the prior owner just found a screw that could be screwed onto on both ends, and just used two of the same door pulls. I have no idea if there are screws that can be screwed onto on both ends. Or if these were double-sided pulls bought that way.

Old 11-14-13, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
Old thread.. Please start new

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: