Ordering replacement windows?

Old 02-24-11, 10:05 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ordering replacement windows?

Any recomendations on where to go to order new windows that I will install myself? Someone referred me to SilverLine windows but I cannot seem to get thru to them to order. I dont want to spend more than 200-300 per window. I need 12 windows.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-11, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Silverline is now owned by Anderson, marketed as "American Craftsman, an Anderson Company", and are sold through Home Depot in most areas. They aren't BAD windows as long as you step up to the 8500 or 9500 series...but there are others that are better for the same price, though it somewhat depends on whats available in your area.

Old 02-24-11, 10:30 AM
G
Thanks for the reply and the info. Good to know. I'm wanting to stay away from home depot/lowes and just order from a window company or online somewhere.. Any freindly suggestions. ?

Old 02-24-11, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Not online...unless you can see and check the construction. Not familiar with whats available in your area...or mine for that matter..lol. There are many companies out there selling replacement windows..best to stay with one that has been around a while. Good contractors learn quickly to not use cheap material, call backs are expensive.

Old 02-28-11, 10:45 AM
D
Gunguy, are JeldWen comparable to the Silverline/American Craftsman? I am looking to replace the old hung windows in a rental house, and would like to get a decent product without going to a top of the line window. All three of these windows are available to me, as well as what the blue store sells.

Old 02-28-11, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
dougrob

I never dealt with JW replacement windows...and actually, not too many of their new construction. Where/when I was working was near water and most people preferred vinyl clad. We sold many of their wood windows and sash replacement kits since we had lots of old historic homes with odd sizes and JW did custom.

btw...better to start your own thread as many people won't return to a thread that has already been responded to. Good Forum etiquette also.

Old 02-28-11, 02:35 PM
L
gregnese,

Shop around. Your desire to stay around $200 to $300 per window may or may not be realistic, depending on the size of the windows.

Retrofit, or replacement?

Replacement will have you taking out the old frames and dealing with the rough opening size. Those will be the sizes that you find on the shelf at a big box store. Also means you are dealing with getting them sealed.

Retrofit will be pulling the sashes and removing the mullions, but leaving the frames in place. Your existing frames are already sealed in the siding -- one less place for a leak to occur. But you will be special ordering the windows to fit inside the frames. That will narrow the number of places to shop, which may increase the price.